New build with Windows 7 x64 freezes

dinvex

Hi,

I've built a new computer that seems to freeze within a few minutes of being on. I "successfully" installed Windows 7 64bit, but on the start up screen with the color orbs it freezes, and likewise on the repair when I attempt to do that...

My specs are:

Ultra 750W ATX Power supply
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Motherboard (with "turbo key" and "core unlocker" on/up (assuming the red lights oof means they are on...)
AMD Phenom II X4 3.4 GHz (HDZ965FBK4DGM) Processor
Corsair DDR3 RAM (2: 2 GB sticks)
2: 1TB Hitachi Hard drives
Samsung Lightscribe DVD burner
USB mouse
old school keyboard
usb/firewire PCI card

If you have any suggestions, please help a newbie out!

Love,

Your New Best Friend:)

I read somewhere that it could possibly be my power supply... maybe what I have is not sufficient enough to keep windows happy?

I'm running a set up essentially the same as you on a 600W PSU. Your PSU might be bad, but not enough power is probably not the culprit.

Do you have dedicated video card? If so, did you leave that little placeholder card in the other PCIe slot?

Check in BIOS to make sure that you somehow did not overclock your computer?

If all above does not apply, disconnect all drives except the boot drive and take out the firewire/USB card and try again.

Thanks for the suggestion., gwailo7. I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow afternoon...

As for the video card, it is just from the motherboard. Also, the USB firewire did the same thing before I put it in there. I've left the BIOS alone, but I will check if it set to overclock. I realllly hope its not the processor...

I'm sorry its taken so long to test this out, and I hope you don't think I don't appreciate it, because I REALLY do- life with a baby seems to sometimes suck out all the hours before I know it!

I've tried looking at BIOS, nothing is overclocked from what I can tell (overclocking is not selected anywhere, and I wouldn't know what to do there any way so it's the same as how I received it. I removed the firewire, so theres nothing in the PCI slots and also tried each drive separately, and neither of them work, so i assume that is not the culprit. Its freezing on both hard drives at the screen that displays "setup is starting"

...speaking of baby, he submitted the previous post before I was done:)

It freezes on "setup is starting", and I have left it there over night a couple times just to make sure, and it is still not passing that section.

If i makes any difference, I was able to install windows for a day or two before posting this, but tried reinstalling because of an inability to get online... common Windows 7 issue? Not sure, I tried reinstalling, and that failing is why I posted in the first place.

Another culprit you suggest? Could the hard drives be bad or have some sort of conflict? They were new, but I really don't know where to go from here, and its very frustrating. Thanks again in advance for any insight you can provide!

Another little bit I tried - using a *dirty copy* of windows i found, still was not doing anything different, so its not the disc either.... Anyone around Fort Lauderdale, Florida that wants to make fast buck to fix this? Any other suggestions?

Back