TechSpot

New build won't boot, fans turn on and off

By accidental
Jul 20, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. This is driving me crazy. I've been out of IT for a few years now and I guess I'm a little rusty. The motherboard on my media center computer fried so I decided to upgrade everything while I was at it. I got an Intel DH55HC mobo/i5 processor with an Antec 650w 'true power new' power supply, 4GB RAM and put it all back in my old case.

After everything was installed I powered it up, the fans kicked on for about a 3 seconds and turned off. After about 5 seconds the fans kicked on. This cycle keeps going until I power it off. I get no error beeps and no video.

My first thought was a bad mobo so I exchanged it and installed everything again. Same thing happened. Second thought was the power supply so I exchanged that - same thing happened.

I tried a power supply out of another computer on the new mobo and the same thing happened. I tried the power supply in another computer and it booted fine.

Could it be a mobo/psu compatibility problem or possibly the processor?

2. accidental

accidental TS Rookie Topic Starter

I had the processor tested and it was indeed bad. 4 trips to Fry's Electronics (4 too many) and the machine is up and running now.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.