New Build Wont Even Turn On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built a few computers before but this one seems to elude me;I have a 550w power supply which I have tested on an old mobo and CPUbut when I put it in my case with the new mobo and processor it wont even turn on. All the RAM in Seated and The 4 pin and 24 pin ATX power connectors are seated and locked. I have an AMD Phenom 8450 X3 and I think the prob might be I am not giving it enough power....but I'd like some second opinions cause the specs should at least turn on.

~IronSatan~

What is your new motherboard? You said the your old board/CPU works in the new case, right? Your new motherboard and it's CPU might not be compatible...

I doubt its a lack of power. There is a guide here on issues with POST.

Personally I'd check to make sure your power switch is on the right 2 jumpers. You can even short them out with a screwdriver to check, it only takes a split second of contact, and touching the wrong 2 with a screwdriver won't mess anything up.

I'd also disconnect all peripherals that you can, including the drives to see if you get anything different happening.

How do I do the Screwdriver trick?
You just take the switch led off the pins down there, and stick a flathead screwdriver in there to touch the 2 together. This will rule out a bad switch, and you can poke around in there to see if you can rule out an error in the motherboard manual (on which 2 pins to put the switch on).

Just stick it in, make a connection between the pins you think are right and any others in that immediate area. Contact only needs to be long enough to make contact, it doesn't have to be held there. If the switch or the motherboard manual told you the wrong 2 pins you'll find out now. Its probably not your problem, but its worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back