New build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am a curently building a new computer for myself and this would be my first time, so I get my parts and im working on it and I can't seem to get a display on my monitor( I only have a vga monitor but my video card came with a converter from DVI so would that effect the display?). My fans are spinning (system fan, cpu fan, video card fan) I just wanna know if any of my parts are wrong and if I should just send all my stuff back and try again. I have tryed reseting the CMOS and taking out battery and replacing everything but no dice. I also when I try to turn it off I hold my power button its half shuts off and stays on but when i try to turn it of again, it goes off completely. I can't even get the D bracket 2 to lit up at all.

Spec:

-MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail
-Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model -KVR667D2N5K2/2G - Retail
-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I have an old IDE cd/dvd burner rom drive and a Gefore 8600 GT XXX Edition. I have been working at this for a short time and have lost all patience with myself....please someone help me

I have an idea that might be better and I want an opinion on this. I think i shorted the motherboard because i forgot to put in the studs on the cases so the motherboard is lifted in the first place and i powered it on a couple times. So, my question is is all my stuff compatible with each other and if I just screwed up building or i bought the wrong stuff.

So my mind is going deciding on these two options
option1 :replace everything and try again but again is everything compatible with the other parts?

option2:return them and get a refund for it...(note i would lose 79 dollars because of Newegg's restocking fee which is 15%)

Your "stuff" is compatible, but...
any hardware defect can cause the problem... memory, video card... as you know.
The motherboard is pretty easy to setup, but I would carefully go through the manual to see what you have missed.
Have you tried booting to SAFE MODE?
I would borrow any other known working video graphics card... even PCI... to see if video is working, then boot in safe mode.
I suspect your video graphics setup... cable etc.... Look up the video card on the website, and go through the check list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back