TechSpot

New build

By Midtown1672
Sep 23, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, I am a curently building a new computer for myself and this would be my first time, so I get my parts and im working on it and I can't seem to get a display on my monitor( I only have a vga monitor but my video card came with a converter from DVI so would that effect the display?). My fans are spinning (system fan, cpu fan, video card fan) I just wanna know if any of my parts are wrong and if I should just send all my stuff back and try again. I have tryed reseting the CMOS and taking out battery and replacing everything but no dice. I also when I try to turn it off I hold my power button its half shuts off and stays on but when i try to turn it of again, it goes off completely. I can't even get the D bracket 2 to lit up at all.

Spec:

-MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    -Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail
    -Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model -KVR667D2N5K2/2G - Retail
    -Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I have an old IDE cd/dvd burner rom drive and a Gefore 8600 GT XXX Edition. I have been working at this for a short time and have lost all patience with myself....please someone help me

I have an idea that might be better and I want an opinion on this. I think i shorted the motherboard because i forgot to put in the studs on the cases so the motherboard is lifted in the first place and i powered it on a couple times. So, my question is is all my stuff compatible with each other and if I just screwed up building or i bought the wrong stuff.

So my mind is going deciding on these two options
    option1 :replace everything and try again but again is everything compatible with the other parts?

option2:return them and get a refund for it...(note i would lose 79 dollars because of Newegg's restocking fee which is 15%)
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Your "stuff" is compatible, but...
    any hardware defect can cause the problem... memory, video card... as you know.
    The motherboard is pretty easy to setup, but I would carefully go through the manual to see what you have missed.
    Have you tried booting to SAFE MODE?
    I would borrow any other known working video graphics card... even PCI... to see if video is working, then boot in safe mode.
    I suspect your video graphics setup... cable etc.... Look up the video card on the website, and go through the check list.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.