New built PC won't turn on

Sotobeh

So I'm sitting here with my chin on my brand new computer case with all my new parts nicely in the cases, about to flip. I've been looking all over just to find maybe a solution. I can't, so I posted this.

So my pc won't turn on, the power button doesn't turn it on. There is a Green led that lights up on my motherboard when my psu is plugged in and is set to on. The voltage is set to 115, I'm in the us. No fan wiggles, and I'm pretty sure my motherboard isn't grounded. I did have a problem fitting it in the case earlier cause of the damned I/o shield thing. But I made sure it wasn't damaged. I've fiddled with all the power cables and for the most part I'm sure the front panel connectors are right. I checked the cpu and the little things you set it on,all fine. Tried the ram one at a time, taken everything out and plugged it back in multiple times. I the motherboard needs a 24 pin. The psu is 20+4. The cpu power connector is 8 and the psu fits that too. The only problem I could think of is the stupid front panel connectors. This is my first time building a pc btw.

My build
Motherboard: asus p8z77 3770
Kingwin Pow psu
Power color radeon hd 7970 gpu
Intel i7 3770
Case is a thermal take commander ms-I

Make sure you have not switched the power LED and power switch wires. This caught me of guard once, took me a few minutes to realize my mistake.

To clarify, you are using the manual for pin-out configurations?

This is the front panel. Notice how above the reset switch there are four connectors and those are for speakers. I think I found where that is but can't be sure. Also there is no spot for hdd led? Is that the same as ide led? 20130403_171709.jpg

I think you are kind of missing a power connection. You see that blue 8 pin connection to the left of the CPU cooler and to the right of the back exhaust fan? I think you are missing a connection there. Dont quote me here if I am wrong though.

Already stated I usually have that in. I just did the paper clip test. My hard drive, optical drive and psu fan came on. Does this rule out the possibility of it being the power supply? Any ways I can test gpu cpu and motherboard?

Already stated I usually have that in. I just did the paper clip test. My hard drive, optical drive and psu fan came on. Does this rule out the possibility of it being the power supply? Any ways I can test gpu cpu and motherboard?
Well some people first put together the motherboard + CPU + RAM + GPU + Power supply and connect those to a monitor to see if everything is working properly (the PC turns on, all the fans function etc.). The PC wont boot, it will instead give you a message saying it could not load the OS since there is no HDD or SSD connected. I guess you can try that.

Well some people first put together the motherboard + CPU + RAM + GPU + Power supply and connect those to a monitor to see if everything is working properly (the PC turns on, all the fans function etc.). The PC wont boot, it will instead give you a message saying it could not load the OS since there is no HDD or SSD connected. I guess you can try that.

How do I turn it on if the front panel power connector isn't connected? Are there two pins I could short so it turns on? Kinda like the psu?

The power switch pins on the front panel connector can be shorted. Thats all a power switch does is temporarily shorts out those two pins. All you need to do is momentarily touch the two pins and the PC should bootup. If this works, your switch is either bad or not connected properly.

At this point I would have welcomed that. Rethinking that it maybe the motherboard :/, another thought. Going thru the motherboard manual I noticed that I didn't have an exact match for ram. Although it does support 1600MHz 2x4gb corsair ram. Could this be a potential problem?

Edit: never mind there is an indicator that signals when the ram is unacceptable

Good news, progress! So I did the most basic boot. Gpu cpu and the ram stick. I shorted two pins diagonal to each other and everything started! I did the two normal pins, nothing. Turned off tried the two diagonal pins, worked again. Now when I do the two normal pins it works! Gonna try to put everything back. Anyone explain what was wrong? Fingers crossed

Since the motherboard green led is lit, there is power coming from the psu to the motherboard.
is your psu above 500w (true rate)?

also, check if the power on or reset cable switch is intact, possibility that the soldered portion may be detached.

Back