New computer crashing during games

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmetore

Hello, recently I have bought a whole new computer, and am experiencing some problems. i am playing games like Red Alert 3, Crysis, and UT3. And also many others. I'm wondering if you guys can shed some light on my problem?

While playing games i get a little 3 second freeze, then a black screen for about 2 secs. after that it goes back to normal. After 5 times of the game doing that, it crashes. My ATI continually does VPU recovery. But only in games.

I don't think its a hardware issue, Ive tried Memtest86, and no errors. Ive tried getting all the latest drivers and/or software. I have tried switching ports for my graphics card, and reseeded my ram. I don't think voltage is a problem, because I have a 585V power supply. Heating shouldn't be an issue. I'm running speed fan and the max any of the temps get is 45 degrees Celsius.

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
CPU Alias Deneb
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 5.0x / 31.5x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Code Cache 64 KB per core
L2 Cache 512 KB per core (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)
L3 Cache 6 MB (On-Die, ECC, NB-Speed)
Multi CPU:
Motherboard ID AMD RD790
CPU #1 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor, 3200 MHz
CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc
--------[ Windows Video ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series ]
Video Adapter Properties:
Device Description ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Adapter String ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
BIOS String 113-AC08600-100
Chip Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9490)
DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Memory Size 1024 MB
Installed Drivers:
ati2dvag 6.14.10.7028 - ATI Catalyst 10.1
Video Adapter Manufacturer:
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

[ ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series ]

Video Adapter Properties:
Device Description ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Adapter String ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
BIOS String 113-AC08600-100
Chip Type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9490)
DAC Type Internal DAC(400MHz)
Memory Size 1024 MB
Installed Drivers:
ati2dvag 6.14.10.7028 - ATI Catalyst 10.1
Video Adapter Manufacturer:

--------[ GPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ PCI Express 2.0 x16: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4670 ]
Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter Gigabyte Radeon HD 4670
BIOS Version 011.021.000.005.031617
BIOS Date 11/17/09 20:20
GPU Code Name RV730 XT
Part Number 113-AC08600-100
PCI Device 1002-9490 / 1458-21C9 (Rev 00)
Transistors 514 million
Process Technology 55 nm
Die Size 146 mm2
Bus Type PCI Express 2.0 x16 @ x16
Memory Size 1 GB
GPU Clock 165 MHz (original: 750 MHz)
RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 8
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Unified Shaders 320 (v4.1)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v10.1
Pixel Fillrate 1320 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type GDDR3
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 796 MHz (DDR) (original: 800 MHz)
Effective Clock 1593 MHz
Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Utilization 4%
ATI PowerPlay (BIOS):
State #1 GPU: 750 MHz, Memory: 900 MHz (Boot)
State #2 GPU: 750 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz
State #3 GPU: 750 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz (UVD)
State #4 GPU: 750 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz
Graphics Processor Manufacturer:

--------[ GPGPU ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ Stream: RV730 ]
Device Properties:
Device Name RV730
GPU Clock 750 MHz
SIMDs 8
UAVs 1
Max Resource 1D Width 8192
Max Resource 2D Width / Height 8192 / 8192
Wavefront Size 32
Pitch Alignment 256 elements
Surface Alignment 256 bytes
CAL Version 1.4.519
CAL DLL aticalrt.dll (6.14.10.519)
Memory Properties:
Memory Clock 800 MHz
Total / Free Local Memory 1024 MB / 1001 MB
Total / Free Uncached Remote Memory 1024 MB / 1012 MB
Total / Free Cached Remote Memory 64 MB / 63 MB
Device Features:
Compute Shader Supported
Double-Precision Floating-Point Not Supported
Global Data Share Not Supported
Global GPR Supported
Local Data Share Supported
Memory Export Supported
CAL Extensions:
CAL/D3D9 Interaction Supported
CAL/D3D10 Interaction Supported
CAL/OpenGL Interaction Not Supported
CAL Counters Supported
Compute Shader Supported
Create Resource Supported
Domain Parameters Supported
Device Manufacturer:

--------[ Operating System ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System Properties:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64

Your power supply specs should be listed similar to this: +3.3V@25A, +5V25A, +12V@70A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A

Yes that is 12 v and it is a fine power supply, i'm pretty sure you didn't read your power supply specs properly, can you name the make and model?

Yes thats a pretty crappy power supply, I wouldn't put it past a simple power issue.
It does mention that one 12v rail has an extra amp, if you want to try and switch them.

Personally I don't think that powersupply is strong enough, but if someone else knows better...

This is your PSU if the info you gave is right

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=75059

I'd agree with HK, generic PSU's are known for issues like this. Especially with the description you've given it seems like its just not able to handle it. Granted you said you bought the computer and I'm assuming from a known vendor so it is odd that it's having issues...then again the PSU might just be bad and they should replace it free if it's new and under warranty.

Good news though is that you're not running a strong GPU (4670) so it wont be hard finding you a soild PSU that wont cost a lot if you want to replace it yourself. Another good thing is you could get yourself a nice PSU that is future proof. Especially if you decide to get a good GPU down the road, as the 4670 is a solid budget gaming card but not something that you can max out Crysis on. You'll have to invest in something better which would mean replacing your PSU anyway.

Yes on top of that, it is a sub-par power supply, which sometimes blow and end up frying the whole system. Best to just stick with a high quality power supply, like a corsair 400w.

I have switched the power supply with a new one.. a thermal take w0134p tr2rx series. 550W. Problem is still happening

bump
sorry guys but i really need an answer

Sorry forgot about you're post :( . So trying a new PSU didn't help at all? A 550W from Thermaltake should be more then enough for your system so that doesn't appear to be the issue. Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in, I'll see if I can find anything related to your issue.

Oh right...
if you have an integrated graphics card, or another card you can borrow, you could try that.
At this point its hard to day, one of the few things you can do is guess and check.

well I have used my previous Nvidia 8500GT but it still happens. And I have had Windows 7, on here with latest drivers... so i dont think any of that would help.

Did you try re-installing the OS? I suggest that you do that and install all drivers afresh.

How many sticks of RAM do you have? If you have more than one, have you tried running with a single module?

If the problem persists it might be the PCI-E slot on the motherboard that may be damaged. The CPU too could be at fault.

Does your card require a 6 Pin PCI-E connector? Is that connected?

well i had 2 sticks of 2 gigs of ram. i took the other one out and no luck... no my card doesnt require a 6 pin PCI-E connector, and is not connected...

Hello, recently I have bought a whole new computer...
If you recently bought it, isn't it still under warranty? If so, have you considered taking it back to the builder for warranty work?

well some of it was combo deals.... like case and power supply, graphics card and motherboard. I got it all off newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back