New computer on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnK93

Hey,
I just ordered my parts from Newegg for a new computer...I'm anxiously awaiting them to build my first machine. Here's what's on the way:
Antec SLK3000 case
Antec TPII-550W PSU
AMD 3700+ San Diego CPU
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
eVGA 7800GT video card
Corsair XMS 2x512 memory
Western Digital SATA 150 hard drive (80G)

Might have to get some more (memory, hard drive) once it's up and running, but this should get me started. I just need to buy a Windows XP pro and I think i'm set. I bought the video card on impulse...it was on sale from newegg for ten bucks less than the evga 6800GT that I was planning on buying. Seemed like a no-brainer...am I missing something here?

Anyway, thanks to all for the help so far...hopefully the build will go smoothly.

John

You didn't mention any optical drives. You'll need one to install software. You'll also need a floppy drive for the SATA controller drivers.

I forgot to mention these...I got a free floppy drive with my hard drive, and I'm going to use one of the cd drives I have in my current computer until I see a good deal on a DVD burner. Thanks for noticing though...anything else I might have forgotten?

By the way, the video card I got is a 7800GT OC, factory overclocked. Is this a good thing?

John

overclocking is never a good thing whether people say it's fine or not... but why would you need to overclock a 7800gt anyways?

I don't really intend on overclocking my computer, but this card seemed like a good deal. I'm a little nervous about it because I don't want it to die out on me because it is OC'd, but given that it is factory OC'd, I thought it would be OK.

I'm sure you are safe with the factory OCing. After all, they are giving it a warranty.

BTW, I also got that free NEC floppy deal with the WD 80GB SATA HDD from Newegg for a PC I built for someone else.

souton said:
overclocking is never a good thing whether people say it's fine or not... but why would you need to overclock a 7800gt anyways?

Agree and disagree. Overclocking a 7800gt? I wouldn't. No need.

Overclocking an AthlonXP 2500? Sure! Why not get the most out of an old CPU? I have the Athlon64 3700+ 2.2Mhz now, and it's not overclocked. But in a year or so when newer games and apps need faster CPUs, I will overclock it to a 2.6Mhz. That is like buying a new processor... for free!

Anyways, WAYYYYY off topic here.

Factory OCing is a whole different ballpark. It is still under warranty so there are no worries at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back