New computer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

canaangrl89

OK to anyone reading this i am basicaly computer retarted!!
ok im gettign a new computer hopefully this weekend. i am having alot of trouble iwht my old tower but i love my monitor if i get a new tower 1. will it work with my current monitor and 2. the problems that im having now (cant change computer back ground ect.) will they still be there or is the monitor just a Picture box for whats happening in the tower?? im really confused about this and want to make sure i dont mess up majorly!!!!

*to anyone whose laughing at the possibly reddiculus questions i hope i have made your day.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb responses (although I hope this one is not !)

Anyway:

1. will it work with my current monitor
There is a small possibility that your Monitor may not work

The 15Pin old Monitor plug has been replaced by the new DVI socket
Thankfully there are inexpensive adaptors that can be used in this case

Also some very early (old) monitors cannot work on the millions of pixels generated by todays new video cards

But I would say, that you'll be right here, anyway.

2. the problems that im having now will they still be there ...??

No

The new box, usually comes with Windows on it
You may need to confirm this
But, specifically, the Monitor just shows the image sent from the computer box

I hope that helps your understanding. If not reply back with more questions.

ok that helps alot thanks and now i have another ? how do i get all my Word and Paint type files to my new tower? so i have to put them all on CDs and oput them back on the new comp???

Yes

There are a few methods that you can use to transfer your documents to a new computer.

But, in my view, the best option would be to backup to external media (USB flash Drive, or CD or DVD or other external device)

Then when you get your new computer, make sure you have Antivirus installed and running, and updated!
Then return your backup data to your new documents folder.

Continue asking if you like...

nd 4 i have a anti virus thingy on my comp (macafee and spyhunter) and i dislike both one comes with my internet provider and the other i bought beacuse soem of my Younger family members thought it would fun to downlaod every sing free thi8ng on the net (that was a nightmare!!) how do i stop both and get a new one... do you have any recomedations for anitspyware that does a good job and is affordable?
thanks for being so patient and explaing all this to me u are awesome!!!

ok i had 3 other questions posted so i will post them again caus i deleted them some how,..
ok i can save anythign to a disk on my comp if i save it to my grand mothers flash drive in a file (everything on my compe it a file like "school work") with everything in that file save or do i have to put it on there one thing at a time and can i delete it off of her flash drive after im done she needs it for school or would it b wise to just get anoter flahs drive for this occasion i dont want her flahs to get all virusy again tnx!!

AVG Free does Antivirus and Spyware protection
But normally I say just run Avast Free Antivirus, and when you receive any other issues, just scan with a good Malware removal tool

By the way, this may prompt other members to say you need at least 2 Spyware programs (running all the time) and a good Firewall (depending upon sites that you visit)

This is not my opinion.

Regarding someone elses Flash Drive
Yes it is possible to transfer Virus/Malware to a Flash Drive
Although it will not infect the files on the Flash Drive, until it is returned to a computer. (ie all Virus/Malware effect Operating Systems, not CD's or Discs of any sort)

You may be best to purchase your own Flash Drive, yes (make sure the size (in GB) is bigger that your backup required

Also please note, whilst I'm attending to other users my replies may take a while
I also may logoff soon too (been on a while :) )

ok one more ? and i think im good alot of our word documents are word 2000 or something wil it be able to be read on a new computer with Vista and word 2007 or will i have to change everything to a word 2007 document?

All new versions of software are usually backwards compatible.
What?
What I mean, is Yes, the new Word 2007 will open the old Word 2000 documents.
By the way, when you save them in Word 2007, they are now saved as docx (instead of doc) But that's not here or there. (ie don't worry)

Good luck

:)

You can still post Qs, but I won't reply for another 8 Hrs sorry. (just timing at the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back