New computer troubles (don't think its powering up properly)

compute1

Hi,

i recently got some parts to make a computer

Gigabyte- GA-MA74GMT-S2 motherboard

AMD Phenom II processor

Corsair 2gb DDR3 1333mhz RAM

460W "Vantec" ION2 VAN-460C PSU

im also using an older gpu i have and monitor

now i have set it all up and followed the diagram for the power switch/reset switch, i can turn on the computer but i cant turn it off and the monitor is blank/no signal.

all the fans are working including the cpu fan. . im pretty sure i installed the cpu correctly too.

i have also tried just using the on board graphics but same problem. :rolleyes:
i have not had these two problems occurring at the same time before so i am stumped.

I would remove the GPU if you have on-board graphics, and then try and boot to BIOS. Once in BIOS, you need to change the default graphics over to PCI-express. Then save settings and turn off and re-install the GPU.

If you press and hold the power switch, does it turn off after a few seconds?

Also, can you confirm that both of the following are connected from the power supply:
1. 4 pin ATX power connector (this supplies the power for the CPU/heatsink)
2. 20/24 pin large ATX power connector
3. GPU power connector (if you GPU has one)

Hi,

yeah all the power cables are plugged in, and no the computer wont turn off after holding down the power button it only turns on, then nothing but blank screen and fans whizzing away.

- - pwr - - - - -
hd res - - pwr led

this is how the instruction shows to install the on/off, reset, hdd led, power led buttons

Hi,

yeah all the power cables are plugged in, and no the computer wont turn off after holding down the power button it only turns on, then nothing but blank screen and fans whizzing away.

- - pwr - - - - -
hd res - - pwr led

this is how the instruction shows to install the on/off, reset, hdd led, power led buttons

Your four main wires are the two for power, and the 2 for reset. The HDD/pwr LEDs don't effect anything (other than the obvious lighting of lights) and I don't even connect the pwr LED on mine because its a really bright blue LED and I find it dazzling in low light.

You could try switching around the pwr plugs, but I'm doubtful that is the problem.

I would re-check the CPU, then remove the GPU, and leave just one stick of RAM in, and then try to reboot. You want to try and get it to POST with the minimum amount of additional hardware.

What is the current version of your BIOS, and does that exact version support your current CPU? If it does, it will be in the online CPU support list for your motherboard.

If it was the PSU, I would expect nothing to work at all. That said, if you have another (from another PC) try running the new build with that one, to see if it does then work.

Hi,

well probelem fixed . . now i know how to put in a cpu. . and lock it in place...

But wait, now when i start the computer it asks which mode to start in - last known, safe mode and normal start up, i have selected all and every time it just resets the computer.

Its most likely due to your change of hardware, and your OS' current drivers causing the OS to reboot during booting as they're not matching up.

A repaired, or clean install of your OS should sort the problem.

Well you could use a software utility like License Crawler to hunt out your Windows product key - The only catch is you'd need windows to be running first.

Hi,

thanks for that software leeky it worked great.

i also have another question i have a spare empty hard drive, can i just put XP and use the same cd key (OEM) thats in use by another hard drive ?

the hard drive the cd key is used on is only got backups and stuff on it, its not the main one for this computer, and id rather not have to wipe it clean :( or cant i use multiple cd keys at once?

i have tried 5 diff stores and none got win XP anymore :(

You can only run one license on one computer at any one time.

Though the way the license is worded, you could have two installs using the same license key on the same computer, because your only using one at a time.

Maybe consider an upgrade to Windows 7 if you want to keep your XP?

Back