New Core Duo And Mobo Wont Power Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I have ever upgraded my CPU and MOBO.

Anyway, I just popped in my Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 and my new intel D945gcpe board plugged in eveything and nothing. The fans turn about a 1/4 of a turn every 7 seconds like its trying to boot up but nothing. Im using the old power supply (250w) but im only running a harddrive and cd drive. Im thinking thats the problem but if anyone has any ideas let me know!

There's a 4 or 6 pin molex power connector near the CPU that many people forget to connect. Are you one of these people? Maybe your 250 watt power supply doesn't have the molex connector, does it?

Haha

HA! If you are referring to the heavier gauge 2x2 square plug then yes thats plugged in. I have checked the power on swithches all seem to be correct, its really strange. I plug it it in and the fans act like they are being fed intermittent power. I dont have anything else plugged in at the moment i.e monitor key board etc. I was just making sure It powered up before I went the rest of the way, would that have anyting to do with it?

Plug everything in.

Try clearing your CMOS and booting again.

*Edit*

Make sure everything is totally seated and plugged in properly. Take a step away from your PC if you have to, come back and go over it all again. Reseat your RAM, be sure all your data and power cables are attached the correct way.

Alright I moved the jumper to reset the CMOS rechecked/reseat everything except for the processor, nothing. Should the fan on the PSU come on right when I plug in the cord I have never noticed before..

Plugged in a t the moment I have
The 2x2 plug
-2x12 plug
-IDE cable for the HARDDRIVE
-rear fan
-2 1024 MB DDR2 ram
-CPU FAN

Also I unplugged everything form the board and plugged in the power supply and put a voltmeter to the 2x2 and got nothing. Does something somewhere else have to tell it turn on?

By your description, that PSU does not sound kosher. I would leave it out of your system and get a new/borrowed replacement inside that PC to test it out.

Alright thats what Im thinking, off to Tiger Direct!
I dont understand it was fine when I shut it down, I figured I was going to have to get a new one anyway soooo... Is there any way to test the old one?
I found this link so Im wondering if i could create the "jumper" and then test the voltage again?

Nothing is ever easy.

If you feel the need to - go for it. Setting your PSU up like that isn't really going to prove one thing or another in your situation.

Ok so after several trips to tiger and A whole new power supply and case!! We are up and running somewhat. I get the intel screen I can go go to bios it sees my harddrive and then it says Windows was not started correctly last time....

I have chosen safe mode and boot normally and it just cycles back to booting up to the intel screen and then "windows was not correctly.....
I have it booting from the harddrive first but still nothing..

BTW thanks guys you have been a great help.

HA!! nope didnt think about that nor did I know I had to do it. So thats my next step. I guess it makes since that its not going to boot from all the old setting on the HDD.. got it alright Ill let you know how it goes!

Thanks again.

No problem, you should be square once you reinstall Windows (hopefully ;)). You're welcome, and post back with your results.

Err? I'm sure there are plenty of proprietary PC's out there that have OEM PSU architectures etc. but I've swapped them out in Dells and Compaqs quite a few times :).

Alright,
well a simple upgrade turned into building a whole new computer which is cool I wanted one anyway!!

So now im looking at the P4 1.7ghz processor from the old computer and enough parts to build abother one! (this is a down hill spiral isnt it?) My question is would it be worth trying to find a cheap mobo to put back into the old computer? I have everything else I am just curious if it would be worth finding one putting it in there and having a whole extra computer? Maybe trying my hand at overclocking the
P4? any suggestions?

FYI I ended up with

Ultra xblaster case w 350w PSU
Core 2 Duo eE6300
IntelD945GCPE
2X1024mb of 4-4-4 OCZ memory
160G seagate sata HDD

Err, I'm not sure I understand, I thought you were in business, just needed to reinstall Windows? Please clarify as I am a little confused.

Oh yeah, we are up and running on the new computer. Im just wondering if it would be worth it t0 buy a new mobo for my old p4 processor and build another computer??

I suppose that's a question you have to ask yourself. Nobody here can answer that for you.

Motherboards with Socket 478 are not easy to come by, you'll probably have to resort to Ebay for any form of a selection.

Congratulations on the new build by the way :).

Well thanks, I guess thats a good politically correct way to answer that! Anyway, Im still updating and installing but so far I love it. I think the more I do with it the more I will realize how much I like it. Couldnt have done it without you!

If I can find a cheap mobo for the other one Im sure ill be back with more questions.!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back