New Desktop won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahoy ye'all. T'is a grand frustration, these infernal machines. And how I love them so. :D

So I'm finished building my new machine (specs below) and all attachments are made, all plugs (seem) to be snugly fit together, and I've read all the documentation. I'm very thorough before throwing the switch for the first time; it's a special thing to deflower a machine you build yourself.

Plug it in, flip the switch on the PSU, and (anxiously urinating) push the power button.

The computer then turns on for about 1/10 second, with all the pretty blue lights and the LCD gauge (for temp/fan info) lights up. And then it turns back off. The 2x80mm fans on the side and back of the chassis don't even have time to begin spinning.

Specs:
Apevia X-Telstar Junior Type G
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (microATX, I believe)
AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition
2X(Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB SATA-300)
Twintech GeForce 8800GT PCI-Express 2.0 x16
Kingston (4GB PC2-6400 CL5 240-Pin DIMM Kit, 2 pcs. 2x2GB 800MHz)
Antec Earthwatts 650 Watt ATX12V v2.2
Also, an old ASUS CD drive and generic Floppy drive, which I know work

Now, I know that this is a power-hungry system, and that's why I went for a full 650 Watts. That should be enough for all this, yes?

I've had computers that had fried PSUs before, but, they usually don't do this 1/10 second 'flicker' of power that I see with this one. Usually they don't do anything at all. There's no beep or anything, though when I turn off the lights in the room and examine the chassis as I turn her on, both fans light up (like they're supposed to) and as said, the front LCD panel lights up too. And then *poof*. Darkness. Silence. Confusion. Screaming.

I tried pulling out the graphics card and one of the hard drives, to lower the load on the PSU, tried it again, and exactly the same thing happens. I also triple-checked the power-switch connector, and it is correctly inserted to PW+ and PW-. (As are the rest on the Front Panel Header). Pulled out and re-inserted MOBO power (2x12) and CPU power (2x2), just to make sure, and the same thing happens. Tried pulling out my hair too, but that just hurt.

So now you know the story of my life. Any suggestions? (First person to say 'see a shrink' will get it good)

<---Edit--->
Also, it might be worth mentioning that I have cleared the CMOS as well.

I know this may sound like madness, but can you unplug the Case fan, and CPU fan. Then try turning on
(But be ready to pull the power if it actually works !)

Other than that, you did say new (like warranty new) didn't you?

Tried unplugging the fans, pushed the button, and same thing happens.

I did say new, like warranty new, but I have to be sure of where the problem lies before I exchange a part. I have to say, I suspect the PSU, but isn't there also a chance it could be the MOBO not routing those 2x12 and 2x2 pipelines correctly?

Curses. I knew I should have gone with a high quality 750W instead of saving money on a 'green' 650W. And the best thing of all? My 12-year-old daughter has thrown away the receipt. I got pwned by a kid. :(

Scratch that, I found the receipt.

Sometimes it pays off to play the hobo and rummage through garbage! :D

I'm going to return the 650 and get a good, high quality 750 and test that out.

I heard (from a semi-reliable source) that the 8800GT takes 600W of power. At first I didn't believe that it could actually be true (that's like 5 phenom x4's). I did a little research and, in the places I found, there was never a reliable exact number for watts needed. I found everything from 50-500W requirements. There's also nothing in the instruction manual on how much it requires. It "recommends" a 400 watt system. But based on what? Shouldn't I have a CPU too? HDDs anybody? Fans? Dumbers.

My question is this: Is a 750W going to work for me? I'm having immense trouble finding exact numbers for my equipment.

750Watt is enough for anyone (Hey imagine laughing at that statement in a few years!)

By the way, this is still test stage :suspiciou

But it just might work :rolleyes:

It better ! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back