New DVD burner not being recognized in XP

bfhsteelers

Hello everyone,

I was trying to replace my old dvd burner on my kids computer which is a Dell Dimension E310. The new drive is an LG which i got from Newegg. It is an IDE drive and it is not being identified when I boot up. I thought it might be the IDE cable, so I replaced it with a new one, still no luck. I also looked in bios and it shows the cd rom drive as unavailable. I tried going to the device manager and looking for the burner but I didn't see anything in the descriptions that resemble it. Not sure what else to do. Can you guys help? Thanks so much.

This may be a jumper issue. Try setting the jumper to Cable Select, or Slave (Secondary), if you have it connected to the same cable as another drive.

I just looked at a Google image for a random LG burner, and it appears Master is on the right.

Of course, yours could be different, so take a look. Try setting it to Master, and see what happens.

Hi Bfhsteelers,

Welcome to TS!

is there anyway you can give us the model number of the drive? There should be a sticker ontop of the drive that displays jumper settings OR if not if will be marked on the drive somewhere.

M - Master
S - Slave
CS - Cable Select.

Make sure the pins by the "M" are conencted by the jumper.

Note some drives are marked differently but it will be obvious which one is Master.

Hope this helps
James

James,

The model number is GH22NP20. I looked in my computer and the dvd drive isn't listed and I also don't see it in device manager either. I checked for the M S CS settings but they aren't identified, but I tried each one and still nothing.

I have to suspect a bad DVD drive, honestly. Electronics do ship Dead On Arrival (DOA) sometimes.

I guess the key would be to test the drive in another machine. If that machine does not recognize it, RMA the drive.

Let us know how it fares in another machine, of at all possible. You can also reverse the test, by testing a known good DVD drive in the same machine.

Hey, I checked my bios and found that the listed SATA drives of which I dont have, were disabled. When I enabled them, the dvd burner was recognized right away.

Thanks for your help you guys. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the report bfhsteelers, we appreciate it.

I'm glad you got it solved...let us know if you need anything else!

Back