New elements added to chemistry's periodic table

Archean

Two new elements have been added to the periodic table after a three-year review by the governing bodies of chemistry and physics.

The elements are currently unnamed, but they are both highly radioactive and exist for less than a second before decaying into lighter atoms.

The table is the official compedium of known elements, organised according to properties of their atomic structure.

_53309857_a1500360-periodic_table.jpg

These two new elements will be called ununquadium and ununhexium (temporarily), which are well reasonably undramatic sort of names.

well then...I guess Captain Cranky lied to me.
He told me this was the periodic table

At least Captain's periodic table will consist of much more 'interesting' names for each element.

Do the "UU" designations mean anything specific in Latin? Or do they have another meaning?

I've always wondered why they name new elements with such ambiguous names, only to rename them later on. Surely the wiser choice would be just to name them and then add them, since they'll have already been deemed worthy of addition in the first place.

Do the "UU" designations mean anything specific in Latin? Or do they have another meaning?

Usually, the periodic table consists of Greek names. Although I was told that "unun" is in fact Latin for "unnamed". Any truth in that perhaps?

Unununium and Ununbium (unnamed 1 and unnamed 2) were also 'unnamed' until recently, Uun (111) finally got its name cleared up; it's now called Roentgenium (possibly even Röntgenium). And after some debate, Uub (112) is now called Copernicium.

As for Uuq (114) and Uuh (116) - their existence has been debated - thus I'm glad to see that their existence was finally recognised.

Edit:
Or actually, as 'un' means '1' -- ununquadrium could simply mean "1-1-4-element", and ununhexium could mean "1-1-6-element". Quite funny that they mix Latin and Greek in Ununhexium. Greek for "1" would be "en(a)" - such as in "endeka" (hendeka).

Back