New external hard drive not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought a 320GB int. Drive to replace the 40GB internal i use in an enclosure.The 40GB is set to MASTER & i did the same to the 320GB i can hear the the system make that familar sound when you plug a USB device but don't see the drive.When i unplug the USB i could hear that sound again.This is a brand new HD strait out of the static free bag.Please help...

Rgds.

John

The new external drive needs to be formatted. With the external drive connected, Right-click on My Computer and select "manage" disk management, and right-click on the external drive in the list and select format

The new external drive needs to be formatted. With the external drive connected, Right-click on My Computer and select "manage" disk management, and right-click on the external drive in the list and select format

i did that i see it in
SYSTEM TOOLS > DEVICE MANAGER > DISK DRIVES > HITACHI
When i right click it does not give me the option to format the drive.the only thing it gives me is the following

Update driver
Disable
Uninstsall
Scan for hardware changes
Proerties

Please help..

tks.

john

=> Shutdown your computer. Unplug the external drive. Power Up
=> Once started, click Start->Run, enter diskmgmt.msc
=> Note the disks listed in the lower pane.
=> Plug in your external drive. Does a new disk appear in the lower pane? (it should)
=> Rt click on the new disk that appears and format it

what i understand is your 320GB has become slave on your harddisk.....

If its then look into the jumper positions....

bcoz 40gb hdd on my comp has different settings for slave hdd >40gb and different for <40gbs's

Have a look on it.... it that doesnt help attach that drive as master and format it using bootable drive (.... go get demon tools)

hope that wll help you to solve a problem

Daemon Tools has been known to cause other errors on users computers (usually BSODs and things)
Therefore I don't normally recommend it

Disk Management as quoted by LookinAround would be the best place to start

=> Once started, click Start->Run, enter dskmgmt.msc
=> Plug in your external drive. Does a new disk appear in the lower pane? (it should)

I set the new HD jumper settings to Master before insatalling in the enclosures.

Kind of same problem here

Hey guys, our son's laptop died. He brought it to me to see what I could do. I bought an 'enclosure' to put the HDD in and connect via USB to my PC or my (identical to his) laptop. Nothing. I figure the HDD is gone. I bought him a new HDD, and a new one for me too. I want to use my new one in that enclosure (no sense in wasting it, right?) for an external HDD. I got his up and running, no problems, yesterday.

Today I work on mine. There is no letter assigned to it, it won't even show up except when I do the right click on My Computer and go to . . . Device Manager, it shows up there as a USB disk drive.

I read the post that says to

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinAround
=> Once started, click Start->Run, enter dskmgmt.msc

When I tried that, the second step of it, I get an error message:

dskmgmt.msc (red circle with an X) Windows cannot find 'dskmgmt.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Tried it several times. Not typed wrong.

Any other suggestions?

Any and ALL help will be GREATLY appreciated ! !

Thank you.

edited to say: I still need to format this new one. I hate to have to remove my laptop HDD, install this one, format it, remove it and reinstall my old HDD.

What OS? 2000-Windows 7 should have disk management.

Try to get to it this way: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Disk Management.

it is an IDE drive..Thanks to those who's
responded to my tread.much appreciated..

jmanibusan,
we have no idea what your computer is do we? You had a 40GB drive as the primary master. Are you sure that your systems bios will "see" large disc drives? Can you provide a little more info here

What OS? 2000-Windows 7 should have disk management.

Try to get to it this way: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Disk Management.

Yes Windows 7 is essentially the same as Vista right now

And pardon my typo in prior post (that's why the command you typed didn't work)

As others have indicated you can also get to Disk Management via Control Panel (and fyi I've also corrected the typo in the old post! The command is correctly spelled diskmgmt.msc)

jmanibusan,
we have no idea what your computer is do we? You had a 40GB drive as the primary master. Are you sure that your systems bios will "see" large disc drives? Can you provide a little more info here

Hi Tmagic650,
My system utilizes XP. the drive i'm having issues w/ is an external drive. When i bought the inclosure i just added an extra HD i had laying arou nd into it, which is the 40GB. i'm not trying to anything to my main HD in my system. The jumper settings on that 40GB that was in the inclosure was set as Master,so i did the same to the new 320GB but it my system doesn't recognize it,it makes that sound(plugged in) but doesn't show the drive.Thanks for your help..@ work right now so i'll try the above prev. mentioned & post my results.Thanks again..

still can't format

Okay, I typed it correctly, the drive shows up as Disk 1. My HDD that's inside the laptop shows up as Disk 0. When I right click on them though, my only option is Properties and Help.

I'm using XP Pro, it's a Dell Latitude D600 laptop, the enclosure box reads: Masscool 2.5" portable USB2.0 External Enclosure Model#UHB-UPS255 "Slim design with Plug and Play function for 2.5 IDE or SATA HDD Multiple platform compatibility for PC and MAC systems Change HDD easily, without any effort

Yeah, right, maybe you can change them with no effort, but you use LOTS of effort trying to actually USE them. lol

Does the enclosure have a spot to hook up an external power adapter? Your USB ports may not be providing enough power for the drive.

Were you watching and did Disk 1 appear when you plugged in the drive? (just to assure it's your external and it is being recognized)

Also (good ol' Windows) i believe if cursor actually over "Disk 1" you only get Properties/Help
Try moving the cursor to the long rectangle to right of Disk 1 and then right click

Also here's some details about formatting a basic volume per Microsoft

/* EDIT */
And in any case, do hookup any external power supply (per post from SNGX1275 i just noticed)

power

Hmmmm, mine came with two USB cables, one for the power, one for the unit, they both connect to the back unit and take up both of my USBs on the laptop. . . . soooooo, (blonde moment here . . . I'm thinking . . . ) why do they provide the power/USB cable if there's not enough power thru a USB? Do / Can I use a different power cord? from some other item? . . .

It's been a long day (strike that, make it WEEK) here, not sure if I'm just having a 'senior' moment or what.

Thank you all for any and all help. I truly do appreciate it.

I'll check back in the morning to see if anyone has any more suggestions.

Oh, yes, I did watch as I plugged it in, Disk 1 is the enclosure one. Also, I can tell by the size of it, it's 160 GB where my laptop's HDD is just a 30 something GB.

Thanks again.

Were you watching and did Disk 1 appear when you plugged in the drive? (just to assure it's your external and it is being recognized)

Also (good ol' Windows) i believe if cursor actually over "Disk 1" you only get Properties/Help
Try moving the cursor to the long rectangle to right of Disk 1 and then right click

Also here's some details about formatting a basic volume per Microsoft

/* EDIT */
And in any case, do hookup any external power supply (per post from SNGX1275 i just noticed)

LookinAround,
Thanks you so much:D! it worked & was able to partition the 320Gb DHD. To everyone else who responded & posted thanks also for your input & time.Tks.:wave:

congrats :grinthumb

As regards external power:

Some drives don't provide for an external power cord is true. And they don't (by themselves) usually draw too much power (there's a 500mA limit to a powered USB port).

Just fyi... if you ever want to see how much power a USB device is drawing.. as well as how much total power is being drawn from a USB port.. Skim though Part 1 of this guide Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive which includes how to check on USB device power issues.

Thanks LookinAround ! !

It's amazing what a good night's sleep will do. I followed your guide, used Easeus Partition Master and NOW I have my external HDD. THANK YOU SO MUCH ! !

LookinAround's guide is very good

Just to be clear on what was the issue here and what fixed it

Not format, but remove the Partition

Removing the faulty Partition and then recreating a new clean Partition was the fix (and then formatting the drive)
Note: Easeus Partition Master is compatible with Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP 32 bit, Windows Vista 32 bit only

All in all, quite a good thread though :grinthumb

drive wasn't showing up

But, I had to format the drive. It was new and never was formatted, "Format" was never an option given me until I used that program that LookinAround mentioned in his guide. removing a partition wasn't the issue, being able to SEE the drive and to be able to format it was my issue.

Thanks again

Well Tisso this was the issue with you coming into a middle of a thread, that was not created by you. As Post#2 in this thread (before you posted) stated clearly to try "Formatting" by member Tmagic650

Support replies could not say to you to format the drive, as it was already stated earlier to try. I was going to suggest for you to create your own new thread, but yours did sound extremely similar so it was left, assuming you would read all previous posts

But note: All support replies on this thread were directed at member jmanibusan, not you.

Anyway, glad it's all sorted out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back