New Facebook feature lets you pay to promote photos and posts

By Shawn Knight
Oct 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook has unveiled a new experimental feature that will allow members to promote important status updates or photos for a nominal fee. If you're willing to shell out an average of $7, Facebook will guarantee that your paid-for post will...

Read more
  2. How awful. Pay to brag, Is that what it comes down to now? People sure love to waste their money on stupid things.
    Littleczr likes this.
  3. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

FB stock took a big dive and now they are grasping at ways to show investors that they are still a cash business.
  4. Pathetic people, real pathetic. How sad and miserable is your life that you have to pay to brag on a social site. Wow, fakebook sure loves your money.
  5. It's for advertising guys, haven't you noticed all the businesses with facebook pages?
  6. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Yeah. We should all stop using gas and ride bikes. Gas is so stupid, while riding bikes promotes exercise and helps stop obesity! :D
  7. "It's for advertising guys, haven't you noticed all the businesses with facebook pages?"

NOPE!
  8. I can't see this being popular or open to abuse at all. Oh no. I mean, who'd pay US$7 to fix an "aggravating bit of news" (insult) at the top of your enemy's news feed ?
  9. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TechSpot Booster Posts: 310   +62

The only people who will care enough to pay for this are the annoying people on facebook. I'm sure they could end up making much more money by charging $7 NOT show those updates.
  10. Don't get me wrong. I like facebook. I really do. But...maybe its time for something else to come along.
  11. Kashim

Kashim Newcomer, in training

I don't have a problem with this, even though the price is ridiculous. Facebook is desperate to make money and if people are stupid enough to pay for something like this, then I say let them. Like the old saying goes; "A fool and his money are soon parted."
  12. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,032   +693

No where in any of the posts above mine is a better suggestion. Facebook has to do something. They can't provide this service for free forever. Think of the servers, the databases, the support staff and all the security that has to go into FB. They have a billion users and they can't make money! Investors aren't going to continue to flush their money because helping a billion people stay connected because it's 'cool'.

Rip on this all you want, but think of the alternative. They take your personal info and sell it to advertisers. Even if 30% of their users quit (which they wouldn't) they'll be swimming in money from personalized ads.

Facebook is not some huge technology juggernaut like MS, Apple and Google with a ton of revenue. If they don't figure it out soon they'll start to fade away.

13. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

I agree with you that they need to make money. People don't mind if advertisement if it good quality. For example I don't mind at all if they hit me with movie trailers on my face book page. However I will be supper upset if they hit me with ads similar to used car sales pitch.
  14. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 897   +98

This actually disgusts me, and I'm at a loss of words trying to rationalize it. Honestly are people that bloody vain that they need to pay to promote themselves? Its not bad enough you bother all your "friends" with your stupid crap now you want them to absolutely be bothered by your annoying crap. Now I remember a feature that allowed you to ignore post from any individual user, would this feature override such a tool. Facebook doesn't need to make money, facebook needs to go away. Get out while you still can, that's my only advise I can give anyone reading this. And lol at the 5000 "friend" limit, if you know 5000 or more people that you call friends your full of **** and most of those people secretly hate you.
    Zoltan Head likes this.
  15. "Facebook is not some huge technology juggernaut like MS, Apple and Google with a ton of revenue. If they don't figure it out soon they'll start to fade away."

Yes, and that would be a very good thing. But hey, they supposedly have a billion active users. Yeah right!
  16. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,159   +225

My gosh, is facebook that hard up for $$$$? Oh, thats right, their stock is going downhill fast.lol:D
  17. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Agreed. And I think that "friend" in this context is the meaning used on the planet Thwog, not the English definition (I.e. an irrelevant cybergoon you never met, and God willing never will, who can click a mouse inaccurately)
  18. And alas, the anti-social network keeps on doing what it's always going to do.
  19. Robocop

Robocop Newcomer, in training

How do you know that whatever you want to "promote" is actually getting shoved to the top of your friends feed?
  20. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 454   +54

Those desperate for attention on FB (and there are many) will probably pay for the stupid scheme.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.