TechSpot

New fan concept

By lokem
Mar 13, 2002
  1. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think the question must of us want to ask is "How does it sound ?" ;)

2. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 773

Direct from the page:

Sounds like it'll "sound" quite quiet :D

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,628   +113

Well we'll have to wait to see how these perform.
    Sounds promising though. Getting rid of the dead zone under the motor should do wonders for cooling performance! :grinthumb

4. lokem

Too bad they don't have any statistics for the fan. I tried d/lding the stats sheet from YS Tech's website, but it always disconnects me. Think it should be the same stuff that overclockers.com is posting on their article.

5. SilvrNBlack

SilvrNBlack TS Rookie Posts: 20

Looks pretty hot, I had the same trouble trying to get the spec's from the website. Noise has me a bit worried though.

6. DarkGuarDN

DarkGuarDN TS Rookie Posts: 17

looks pretty bad @$$ :D too bad my AX7 has a big metal chunk in the center of it so it doesn't matter if I have a dead zone in the middle or not.

7. lokem

Noise is actually the least of my concern. Nothing can beat those Delta screamers :D

8. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

DID YOU SAY DELTA ?? I WORK FOR DELTA, AND YEAH OUR PLANES DO SCREAM BY. IF I WASN'T SO DEAF FROM THE WHINE I COULD HEAR YOU BETTER.

Yes I am joking, about the hearing, however, it is not as good as it use to be. My Ys Tech 60x60 screams like the delta's (fans)

Its a way cool design though

9. lokem

Uh.. In that case, DELTA'S THE BEST! :D

I don't mind the Deltas if they weren't that loud. I suppose it's ok to put the Delta fans in servers where they are placed in the server room away from the users... Too bad for the sys admins though! :)

10. boeingfixer

I know what you mean Lokem, I had the honor of going into some of our server rooms and it was quite defining....

11. lokem

Makes you wonder how pple can work inside there doesn't it? ;)

My previous company had a rather small server room filled with Intel servers. Those are nothing compared to the server room filled with HP servers in a client's company.

There was one day when there was a power failure in the company and the sys admins scrambled to shut down the server coz the backup air condition unit wasn't installed properly. Scary stuff. It's amazing how fast those servers lockup due to heat reasons.

12. boeingfixer

Yeah Lokum I know what you mean. Ours even has Halon Fire suppression system in it. Suppose to be able to put out a fire and be back up in 15 minutes....yeah right.....anyway, thats the theory. I also had the honor of taking an air traffic control tower and a center tour awhile back and its just a hummm in there. Most of the computer stuff is QUITE dates there. The building even has big louvers on it to shield itself incase its attacted...i thought it was funny when I toured it.....I don't anymore.

13. lokem

Cool. I now wonder whether all those extra fire protection actually works in server rooms since I doubt they have been tested. Sad to see that only after that incident pple are upgrading their emergency backup plans.

14. Butterball

Butterball TS Rookie Posts: 79

I thought the Halon sytems where suppose to be phased out by 2004. that whole kill the admin in the room and then destroy the ozone. well thqat is enough enviro-ranting im off to do some clear cut logging;)

15. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Isn't it supposed to have a couple of failsafes to keep from killing the admin? The places where I know they've got Halon setup, they have plenty of those... (failsafes...)

As for the enviroment... I won't start an enormous enviroment discussion here, but I doubt that there is too much of a problem with disappearing ozone due to Halon fire supression...

.02$

16. lokem

WharT?!? You mean those Halon setups can kill pple inside the room!?! Geez....

17. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Depending on the setup...
    Consider being in an "airtlocked" room which all of a sudden get's filled with halon... And being there for a couple of minutes... Chances you survive are ~0%...

But, they come with failsafes to stop that from happening :)

18. lokem

Didn't know those rooms were supposed to be airtight. I've been to a few server rooms, they just look like normal rooms to me; just with elevated floors for aircondition vents. Guess the implementation in my country isn't as strict as in the US... Scary ;)

19. Butterball

Butterball TS Rookie Posts: 79

well lets set some of the facts right, they are most certainly not airtight but halon is a poisonoius Gas that will kill in a very unpleasant fassion. and they are suppose to have a "failsafe" where an alarm sounds 10 sec. before the halon is release so just hope you dont trip or get traped under a pile of Cat 5E or something

20. lokem

Oh so that's what the failsafe is all about :D I'll have to ask those sys admins whether they know about this "system" or not :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.