New FreeNas file server

TorturedChaos

I'm working one replacing our file server at work. The one we currently have was built around 2005 and is starting to show its age.
So I'm thinking new server time. The server will be for a copy shop, that specializes in house plans and construction plans. We store lots of large pdf and tiff files. Also have a full service sign shop, so lots of Illustrator and Photoshop files - may of the raster graphics are quite large. (4ft x 8ft sign @ 600dpi takes up a lot of space).
The server will need to connect to 6-8 computers at any one time, with upto 6 printers & copiers active on the network at any one time.
I already have a fairly decent switch, with one port having gigabit Ethernet that the file server will be plugged into, and there reset of the ports being 100 megabit Ethernet ports.
90% of the files we work with are storage on the file server - form house plans, to large commercial building plans to customer artwork and designs for both small format printing and large format. They are loaded, modified, saved, and printed while on the server. I strongly discourage anyone storing files locally as there are no backups on the individual computers, only on the file server. (Both local and through Crashplan).

Anyways onto the hardware:

I already have the process from another project that didn't pan out:
Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Mobo
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O
Case
Fractal Design Define R4
PSU
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M 850W ATX
Ram
Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
HDD's
Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000 2TB x4
I plan to put the HDD into a Raid-Z2, which should give me about 3.6TB of space.

I have built several gaming computers and graphic design computers before but never a server. I think I have a fairly good built here, but would certainly welcome input from someone with more experience in this area than me.

Back