New gaming PC cannot handle crashes

Recently, I had a friend of mine build a gaming PC for me out of entirely new parts that I hand picked. After finally getting everything setup (re-downloading all my games, programs and etc) I was eager to play many games I was never able to before.

After a couple of weeks, I learned that my computer can't handle when a games crashes (usually by something like an in-game bug, or for certain games when I alt-tab out by accident). By unable to handle, I mean that the screen locks up (usually after crashing to the desktop), my mouse disappears and pressing alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete or alt-f4 does nothing. Even putting the computer to sleep then waking it up (I have a button for sleep and wake on my keyboard) doesn't change anything. I'm forced to reset my computer. Sometimes if I press ctrl-alt-del a lot, I can get the task manager window to appear suddenly, but my mouse is still gone and the screen is still frozen.
It can get quite annoying when I play a lot of games and they end up crashing because of bugs and such.

I'm just a basic computer user and no expert, and I'm sure these kinds of crashes isn't anything out of the ordinary. But back in my much older computer (all the parts were at least 4-5 years old, except the video card), I was able to handle crashing from games with ctrl-alt-del easily, without needing to force a restart. I'm wondering what kind of software or hardware problem could cause crashes on a newer computer to be that much more annoying then it was in an older computer.

A summary of the parts are as goes:
CPU - "AMD" Phemon II X6 1055
CPU Fan - "Scythe" Katana 3 CPU Fan
HD - "Seagate" 7200. 12 ST31000528AS 1TB
RAM - "G. Skill" DDR3-1600 4 GB (2X2GB) - F312800 CL7D-4GBRM
MOBO - "Asus" M4A87TD-EVO
VIDEO - "Sapphire" ATI Radeon HD5830 1 GB
POWER SUPPLY - "Corsair" CMPSU-750TX 750W
MONITOR - "Samsung" 2494SW Full HD 24' Widescreen LCD Monitor

The friend who I asked to build this is trustworthy (or at least he knows more about computer hardware then me), and basically this is how it went:

Originally he was going to try and take all the data from my old (shitty 160 GB) drives/partitions and move them into my new hard drive/partitions, so I could keep my windows, registry and programs and stuff all intact.
But he had trouble with my old Windows XP and couldn't repair it. So instead he installed a new Windows XP SP3, and then made a partition on my new hard drive dedicated to all the files from my old hard drive. It has everything from my old hard drive, even the C drive with the temporary data files and windows files and such.
So when he was done with that I setup my stuff and redownloaded games and programs and etc (just the basic things like games, steam, Firefox and etc) and haven't messed with much else (like messing with msconfig or my WINDOWS and such).

I was supposed to salvage any files and folders from the "old hard drive" partition that I wanted to keep and then format away the rest, but I haven't gotten around to doing that.

So, what is it that's causing my new PC to be unable to handle simple game crashes? Any sort of help would be appreciated. If you need any more info on my PC please ask and I will provide.

Are you getting Blue Screens?

Nope. It's not overheating or anything like that. There aren't weird colors on my monitor nor is it turning black.

It's like I crashed to desktop then Windows froze. It's still running because sometimes, I see something in the background change (flashing tabs on my toolbar for instance). But clicking doesn't do anything, and sometimes the mouse isn't even there. Ctrl-alt-del mashing may bring up the task manager if I mash it enough times, but I can't do anything with it.

Have you scanned for infections? Is the video card getting enough juice? Have you tried updating the video card drivers?

Have you scanned for infections? Is the video card getting enough juice? Have you tried updating the video card drivers?

No virus. My video card isn't overheating (heck I don't even overclock) so it should be getting more then enough power.

As for driver, I'm currently in the process of updating the drivers for my MOBO, like my bios. I'm hoping it'll make a difference.

Back