TechSpot

New GPU Fan Not Spinning When Plugged In

By Brooks2
Mar 28, 2008
  1. I just put a Zalman GPU heatsink/fan on my graphics card (Radeon HD 2600 XT). The problem is that now when I boot up the fan only spins until BIOS is done loading, when windows comes up the fan stop and the cards starts to heat up.

I did put in a bigger PSU, I went from a 350 Watt to a 430 Watt because I was having trouble getting enough power to everything (i have a cd-rom/rw, dvd-ram, sound card, vid card, wireless card, and 1 250 gb hdd).

I don't know what the problem is, the heatsink should be installed properly. The fan does spin and at full speed, just not for very long.

Thanks,

B

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Do you have the 2600 plugged into the power supply or vise versa?

3. Brooks2

Brooks2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

it's plugged into my mobo, the fan needs a bigger power source so it calls for it to be plugged into the mobo via a 3 pin connector. it should all be connected at the right spots. is it just something that needs to be fiddled with in BiOS?

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

From the symptom, the GPU fan is NOT plugged into the right place... It should be plugged into a connector on the 2600, where the original GPU fan was plugged into

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.