New GPU overheating?

Lt. Walsh

I have been trying to fix my brothers "old" machine.
I'm very new at this so I wanted to get some help from the experts.

The problems that I noticed were:
1, The graphics card would get very hot right away causing it to crash by way of the pink screen.
2, The PSU fan made a ton of noise.
3, Every-time I would start a graphic intense game, the computer would crash and restart.

So I replaced the graphics card and the PSU fan.
But now I have these problems:

1, After about 30 minutes of running I get this burning smell from the PSU fan :/
2, The new graphics card also gets very hot when I run games.

I did get the new PSU for cheap off eBay. Guess I'll have to buy an expensive one....

I got a very good graphics card, so I don't know why that gets so hot. Any ideas?

Thank you.

What are the models of the PSU and GPU?

A burning smell from a component usually means it's toast...

I think it's a matter of time before your power supply goes down, possibly taking other components down with it.
Post some temperatures please, the 7970 is probably fine temperature wise.

If you have the MSI, I don't think your 7970 should be having any issues, post a few temps like hk said above and we can see. It to me sounds like the PSU is toast, I don't even know what a chiefmax PSU is.

What's the amps rating on +12V rail(s) ?

550W no-name brand PSU is cutting it very close with a 7970 OC'd.

The PSU was only $20, noob mistake......

I did find an SS PSU for under $100(after rebate) here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151120#
That should solve the PSU problem right? :)

Also the temp of the GPU is in the 30s, but games make it heat up to where it's too hot to touch.
Is this normal?
GPU's in general get hot, but they are normally designed to handle temps up to 85 degrees Celsius in most cases at least.

If you want a good priced replacement PSU, then if you can get the one your listed for that cheap, its a good one. However heres what I would recommend:

Rosewill HIVE 650 Watt, 80+ Bronze 79.99
Its got a 20 dollar bonus off coupon till the 31st which brings it down to 59.99 and a 10 dollar rebate which would drop it to 49.99. That will more than satisfy, Rosewill are good PSU's and I have never had any complaints, its taken my oldest rosewill PSU 7 years (Not kidding) on my old Athlon 64 machine to finally stop working and it didn't take anything with it so I like recommending them.

image.jpg

I think the "ICH" and "MCH" sensors are broken, because they always show the temp as 70c but nothing is hot at all.

Try some other programs, the sensors aren't necessarily broken and in fact it's much more likely that the software is reading it wrong.
I'm sorry I don't really have any recommendations.

On this one "MCH" and "TMPIN5" show high temps.
Looks like they are broken.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
My GPU is around 30C and when I run a game is goes to the high 50C
Untitled_zps843fd024.png

That is more than fine, GPU's can normally handle up to 85 Degrees Celsius with ease, so your GPU is not overheating.

Back