New GPU won't run any games

Acedia

I bought a Radeon HD 6870 from visiontek as an upgrade from my old
MSI R5450-MD1GD3H/LP Radeon HD 5450

And now i can't run any games. With my old Graphics card i could at least run Fallout NV on lower settings but with the new card as soon as i load my game it freezes at a black screen. other games that have the same problem Crysis, X3:TC, GTA:SA, Skyrim. the only games that have worked so far are flash games and when my little brother plays on roblox.
Any help would be Great.

Dude, I am having similar problems with the ASUS version of the AMD HD6970 none of the games you mentioned work on my computer, but I am not even getting as far as that. It would probably however be more helpful to the community if you gave the full readout of your system aka CPU OS etc.

A general fix that I usually do when something like this happens is to reinstall the graphics card drivers. my old 9800GTX stabbed me in the back continuously. However this may not work because it seems like your problem is direct X related. I have been considering attempting to reinstall direct X but that can get messy so I wouldn't do that until someone else has gone through the fancy shiraz with you. The drastic solution would be to do an OS reinstall and a drive wipe. However if my problem is related to yours as we are both using AMD graphics cards with similar drivers, and seeing as I just built my machine yesterday it would likely solve nothing.

In short I have no direct solution for you, but I think this is a good place to start for someone else to pick up the juice.

I wish a reinstall would work but i have already formated my HDD reinstalled OS re installed all drivers re installed direct x reset cmos absolutely nothing has worked so far.

I would make sure all drivers are up to date. If youve already done that perhaps its a PSU problem? What PSU do y'all have?

it should not be the PSU i bought the PSU and graphics card at the same time.
it is a Xion High performance 700 watt PSU the only problem i had with it was i accidentally used my old 300 watt power cord which caused a few problems... (my own stupidity)

If you've ruled out everything software wise (drivers, dx, apps etc.) as being the cause of your problems it will likely be a hardware issue. And the issues you are describing (freezing & black screens) sounds power supply related to me. I know you just bought the power supply but that doesn't mean it's not a lemon. If you have access to another power supply, swap them out and give it go. If you are still experiencing problems it may be an issue with the video card itself.

i think it is the PSU also because the one you posted is not a very good PSU in pure voltage which it probably can't consistently keep the same. Rule of thumb never ever skimp on the psu ever!

I'd have to agree with the power supply being suspect. Odds are your separate 6-pin power connections needed for that video card aren't functioning, or running at low power (I'm assuming you did plug those auxiliary power connections in, right?). Had a similar experience where I thought a new video card was DOA, only to find out one rail in my PS was only supplying a tiny trickle of juice.

One other check - do you have any settings or configurations locked into the vid drivers that might be trying to push a resolution or refresh rate that your monitor can't handle? Stranger things have happened, might be worth a quick look...

Back