New graphic card in an old PC

By canewo
Mar 29, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys,

I am very new to this bottlenecking term, infact this is the only time i used the word.

My question:

My pc (old i know)

Motherboard : Asus P5L-MX
    CPU: intel core 2 duo 1.86
    RAM: 2gb kingston 667mhz DDR2

I want to but a HD6850 for now, and when i upgrade my total system i could i use this card in the future.

So will my cpu bottleneck my graphic card?
    If so which card should i buy?
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

I wouldn't spend too much money on the system, but as long as the motherboard supports a PCIe X16 video card, the HD6850 will work
  3. freythman

freythman TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 122   +10

IMHO, I would upgrade to at least a 6870 (if you are thinking of upgrading the entire system in the future). That would give you some more horsepower now, and then much more after you upgraded your mobo/cpu/memory.
  4. nissanman

nissanman TechSpot Maniac Posts: 362

The 6850 will work fine. There will be some bottlenecking, but if you are using the motherboards integrated graphics, the 6850 will provide a massive boost in performance. Just make sure your power supply is up to the job. A quality 500watt will be good.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

As per the last post above.

Do not go higher than a HD6850 as its very unlikely you'll see further benefit from it as you will be pushing the upper limits of the rest of the hardware as it is.

Personally, I would spend the money on a new motherboard, RAM and CPU instead - Then get another dedicated GPU later on - Even on-board GPU chips will be better than you have now in comparison.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.