TechSpot

New graphics card causing shut down several seconds after switching it on, help?

By chel
Nov 22, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all :)

I don't know much about computers, but have been buying parts to build a new one lately, nothing special/expensive.. it's only been missing a graphics card and has ran fine without it, but it came today, and when plugged in the computer just shuts down about 3 seconds after I switch it on, I've looked for threads about this before but the problems all seem slightly different to mine :p

When I remove the graphics card again it works perfectly, so I think I can safely conclude that it's the problem, it has an independant power supply,which I don't have a cable for yet, but the instructions imply that it's optional? It also said something about disabling the motherboards graphics utilities if it has any built in, which I was told mine does, but I don't know how to do that :p

Maybe the cable is mandatory, maybe I just need to disable something, or maybe the graphics card isn't compatible? I'm hoping for any suggestions so I know what to do next :)

The card is an Inno 3D Nvidia GeForce 8500 series, 512MB DDR2 PCI Express, and the motherboard is a Foxconn 45CM-S.

Thankyou for your time :)

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

you need to plug in the 6 pin power connectors for that card and if i remember right you can disable your on board graphics through device manager, try doing it through safe mode.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.