New graphics card causing shut down several seconds after switching it on, help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all :)

I don't know much about computers, but have been buying parts to build a new one lately, nothing special/expensive.. it's only been missing a graphics card and has ran fine without it, but it came today, and when plugged in the computer just shuts down about 3 seconds after I switch it on, I've looked for threads about this before but the problems all seem slightly different to mine :p

When I remove the graphics card again it works perfectly, so I think I can safely conclude that it's the problem, it has an independant power supply,which I don't have a cable for yet, but the instructions imply that it's optional? It also said something about disabling the motherboards graphics utilities if it has any built in, which I was told mine does, but I don't know how to do that :p

Maybe the cable is mandatory, maybe I just need to disable something, or maybe the graphics card isn't compatible? I'm hoping for any suggestions so I know what to do next :)

The card is an Inno 3D Nvidia GeForce 8500 series, 512MB DDR2 PCI Express, and the motherboard is a Foxconn 45CM-S.

Thankyou for your time :)

you need to plug in the 6 pin power connectors for that card and if i remember right you can disable your on board graphics through device manager, try doing it through safe mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back