TechSpot

New graphics card for gaming

By himanshu007
Feb 5, 2010
  1. i am having p4 2.8 ghz system with, 1 gb ram,160gb hard disk,win xp and via p4m800 motheroard.. i want to buy a graphic card for gaming . my motherboard is having a agp 8x slot. i want to buy a 512 mb card but my power supply is of 270 watt is it necessary to buy a 300-350 watt power supply for normal gaming..???? does it work with 270 watt one???

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

The best AGP cards out there are the Radeon HD 3850 and HD 4670. I think that the HD 3850 performs slightly better in newer games due to higher bus width. Get whichever is cheaper.

You will require a better PSU. Atleast something like the Corsair 400CX. If you buy a cheaper brand, I suggest you get a minimum 450 - 500W.

3. himanshu007

himanshu007 TS Rookie Topic Starter

a 270 watt psu will work or not for normal gaming.......???

4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,680   +85

No you will need to change your PSU as well; Ritwik offered the right choices for your new graphics card; and I believe you'll be well off if you go for atleast a 400+ W PSU from a reputable manufacturer.

5. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

Gotta know what kinda games you wanna play. If all you wanna do is play Starcraft.....

However, if you're thinking of running Battlefield: Bad Company 2..... you would need a new PC.

6. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

CMH is right, tell us more please :) . While what was suggested above is correct and will get ya on the right foot, if you end up playing a modern game that won't really help you much as you're running an older processor with a gig of RAM.

7. himanshu007

problem is that without graphic card my pc is not running call of duty ,fifa 2009 and many more.....!!!! and i know that i am using an older processor ,previously i had a 350 watt psu bt as it get damaged so i am using a older one.. i also want to buy a new pc bt right now i cant afford it now as i am an 1st yr engineering student.

8. Archean

You will struggle to get much out from the graphic card options available for your pc; from most newer games frankly. Probably Fifa may turns out to work ok, older COD too.

9. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

The AGP cards I linked to are pretty expensive considering the fact that you could get a Radeon HD 4850 or 4770 (PCI-E) at that price which would give you more than double the performance.

I suggest that you start saving for a new PC if you want to play high end games such as Crysis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Clear Sky, etc. However, for the games you mentioned, the HD 3850 would do fine.

Where exactly are you located?

10. himanshu007

i lives in new delhi

11. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,039   +9

Personally I wouldn't bother to upgrade an AGP system.... For one, they're pretty old, and its just a matter of time before the caps on the m/b blow out, or some other problem crops up due to age.

As you already mentioned, your newer PSU already died, and you're replacing it with an older PSU. Straining such a PSU with the biggest graphics card is just going to shorten whatever lifespan it has left.

12. Archean

Coupled all the issues Ritwik and CMH elaborated very logically with my earlier assertion that with such an old rig you won't be going much further anyway; I'd say save money mate, and you'll be much happier once you get yourself a new computer :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.