New graphics card not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a Gigabyte AMD socket AMD 2 Motherboard with a onboard graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 6100) but recently i bought a new graphics card GIgabyte Geforce 7200 GS.
I have place it in and tried to change the bios by disabling the onboard graphics card but there wasnt a definate option. There was 2 options that refered to graphics cards in Advance Bios Features, the two were; Init Display first and Onboard GPU.
In the Init Display first, there was 3 options, PCI slot, Onboard VGA or PEG. (which do i select?)
In the Onboard GPU, there was two options, Enable If No Ext PEG or Always Enable ( of course Enable If No Ext PEG but is this the way to disable it?)

When i put the card in and insert the plug to the graphics card, my monitor would not detect the graphic and the screen would remain black.

Any Ideas? Thanx in advance :)

You should select PEG display first. This may sound kinda dumb lol, but does your new card have a power connector on it (it may be a 4-pin normal connector, or the new PCI-E 6 pin connector)?

If so, check it out, also you might want to try to reset the BIOS.

And BTW, welcome to TS :)

Hmm maybe try reseating the card, and make sure the PCI-E slot is completely clean? lol

would it be my PCI - E slot thats broken? since ive nvr used that slot b4.. ive always been using the onboard graphics card , any chance it could be broken? =(

It is a likely possibility that the pci-e16 socket went bad. However, have you check to see if the on board graphic is being disabled in the bios? You have to do that first on some mobo before it recognize additional hardware, gpu.

Theres no true option of disable but i think this would be it yeh? (Enable If No Ext PEG ) .. But how much chance is there that the slot for the PCI would be broken? =(

But how much chance is there that the slot for the PCI would be broken? =(

There is no known statistic on the reliability of the slot, but usually more often heard bad graphic card than slots. I would at least try to stick your card in a known good slot and a good card in your slot to see what happen.

Oh, you know what! Before doing all above, you should boot the computer in safe mode, install the new drive, then reboot. You should have it if not hardware problem. Hope this is it. Good luck!

install the new drive? the graphics caard isnt detected. Like a bubble doesnt pop up for new hardware and when we go inside the device manager its no where to be seen

install the new drive?

Sorry, I try to say the graphic driver. Do you meant even you installed the driver the new card still not seen? Well, then it is either a bad card or bad slot. Sorry for getting all excited.

What is the exact model of your Gigabyte motherboard and what is your power supply brand and model?

Motherboard is Gigabyte AMD Socket AM2 GA-M51GM-S2G
The power supply brand Generic (K 099 if it means anything)
Model : KY-500ATX
Power supply: 400 WATT

It might be the generic power supply that probably came with your case. Those are typically poor quality and regardless of its nominal stated wattage and amps, may not have enough power to handle the new card. It's not so much the new card but the total system draw to which the new card pushed it over the edge.

Edit: By any chance is this a Winsis case and the power supply came with it?

The powersupply didnt come with the case. Its only powering 1 hard drive and 2 dvd drivers and 1 ext card (the new graphics card). Theres heaps to spare..

you will need to remove the card, run off of integrated and figure out how to turn it off in BIOS before installing an external card.

but as said b4, There was 2 options that refered to graphics cards in Advance Bios Features, the two were; Init Display first and Onboard GPU.
In the Init Display first, there was 3 options, PCI slot, Onboard VGA or PEG. (which do i select?)
In the Onboard GPU, there was two options, Enable If No Ext PEG or Always Enable ( of course Enable If No Ext PEG but is this the way to disable it?)

theres no real option of disabling it..

Turn off the onboard vc in the BIOS and you should be set. Try both connection on the card,, try a vga dongle .. GL,,

u're not reading his explanation right the VGA is the smaller blue plug on the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back