New graphics card

ACE99

I need to upgrade my graphics card as i an starting to do a lot of 3D modeling and integrated design work on my computer and my old card just can't keep up. (I also do some gaming!!!)

Computer Specs:
Motherboard - Asus M2N32 WS Professional
Processor - Amd Athlon dual core 3.3Ghz (x64bit)
RAM - 8GB
Current Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Ya give us a budget and we'll be able to help a lot more and let us know what resolution you game at. Also make sure you add in the cost for a new PSU if you need one (post what you currently use). I'd second what Dustin linked above if that's around your budget.

Like mentioned, the GTX460 (1Gb probably) is the best value for money IMO at the moment.

If your budget is different, the choice obviously changes, although higher end cards are few. DX11 cards are fewer.

My budget is probably about £200 (£250 Max as i also need to buy a new monitor).
How do i actually find out what graphics cards are compatible with my motherboard?
I don't know what resolution i game at at the moment but i can find out in the next few days.
Forgot to put in my description before what mu PSU!!! It is OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127861
Thanks for the help

460 should work with that powersupply, but not much else, so i'd just stick with the 460 as to retain your powersupply.

How do i actually find out what graphics cards are compatible with my motherboard?
GTX460 is fine.

For heavy 3D modelling the OP would need a workstation class GPU. Something like Quadro / FireGL.

For heavy 3D modelling the OP would need a workstation class GPU. Something like Quadro / FireGL.
I'm assuming he/she will make do with an ordinary card, considering the budget and previous card.

I think some higher end graphics cards will fit in that budget......
Yeah I guess so.

Firstly to avoid confusion i am a guy!
I don't really want to change my PSU as it is too much hastle, could you possibly give me a list of a few cards that range in price from below my budget to over my budget and that would work in my computer just so i can get an idea of what i am getting for my money an whether i would gain or loose anything from spending more or less.
Thanks again.

Well, if you're thinking of Ritwik's suggestion, workstation class GPUs are way over the budget (at least double I think).

You won't find too many reviews or comparisons on those compared to our normal consumer class cards....

HK said:
I'm assuming he/she will make do with an ordinary card, considering the budget and previous card.

Yeah, probably.

ACE99 said:
could you possibly give me a list of a few cards that range in price from below my budget to over my budget and that would work in my computer just so i can get an idea of what i am getting for my money an whether i would gain or loose anything from spending more or less.

Exactly what kind of rendering do you do on your system? If it isn't very intensive stuff then the GTX 460 would make a great choice as it's also an extremely competent gaming card.

I mainly use it for 5D structural analysis of buildings (If you don't know 5D is including time and cost so a client can get a better idea of how and when their money is being spent) I think i agree with you guys that the GTX 460 would probably meet my requirements. Now to decide whether to go for the 768MB or the 1024MB as they are basically identical in price!!!
Thanks for your help.

Didn't know there's a 2GB version.

But the 1GB version performs "statistically significantly" better than the 768Mb version. What I mean is that there is a definite improvement in performance.

You can also go for the factory overclocked ones, these can perform better than the GTX465, and even come close to the GTX470 as well I think, for not much more. Your choices get quite diverse here, as factory overclocked models come with different clocks, and some even feature custom cooling solutions. Here's a few I quickly googled:

Galaxy has among the highest pre-OCed ones at 810mhz. Uses an 80mm fan, which would probably sound halfway between a rocket taking off, and a hurricane. Oh, and it vents inwards too.

Gainward has the most interesting named factory overclocked card with their 800mhz "Goes Like Hell" edition.

Palit has an 800mhz version which exhausts into the case.

Evga has a 763 mhz version which exhausts externally, which is good. Pretty pricey though.

There's a whole bunch of other cards clocked between 700mhz and 800 as well.

Ok it is decided i am going to buy the GTX 460 1GB version. Any insight as to what manufacturer to go with or what version?

id leave it down to your personal opinion of
the asthetics
the price
the clock speeds
the warranty

That should be pretty much alright for your setup. By the way your price range of about 250 quids can also get HD 5870 into frame. I am not sure what is the exchange rate but it costs around 400$; and it is a superior choice over 460GTX.

Dont worry about monitor compatability it will be fine, there generally isnt any restrictions about which monitor you can use

Back