New graphics card?

1. Hey guys,

Well after building a new computer with my old graphics card, i think It is time to grab a new one that will run most of my games in max settings (first person shooters, mmos). Any suggestions to a good graphics card?

Current Specs:

Asus sabertooth x58
    I7-950 3.2Ghz quad
    EVGA 430 GT
    Corsair 650tx PSU
    6GB RAM
    All inside an Antec 300 Illusion case w/ windows 7.

My Budget is anywhere from $100-$300. Perferred price range is around $200's. I need it to run games in max settings, watching movies while connecting to HDTV, dual monitor support (obviously) and best of all HOMEWORK(just kidding LOL)

Anyways Thx guys!!!
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,433   +143

3. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,115   +9

my suggestion would be the 6870 as its a great card and would be great at the price point ur looking at.
  4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

What resolution do you plan on gaming at? If it's 1920x1080 the two options above are both solid cards. If you are a heavy World of Warcraft player, I would recommend looking at the GTX 560ti as Nvidia seems to perform significantly better on Blizzard titles. You also have the option of the 6950 1GB version which is ~$30 cheaper then the 2GB, but cannot be flashed & unlocked to a 6970 if you were interested.

Edit: Make sure you have enough room for whatever card you decide on since you have a mid tower case. Here's a pic that might interest you.
  5. winterwolf1223

winterwolf1223 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

Whao Thx that pic describes it all! Thats an Antec 300 Case right? Wow these high proformance graphic cards are HUGE!!
  6. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

Borrowed the picture from Down Under Overclockers and it appears to be an Antec 300 case.