TechSpot

New hard drive and no Internet connection

By sunshine98031
Aug 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I have a computer that's a couple of years old. Recently the hard drive crashed and I was given a new one. I installed that and used an older version of Windows XP (has SP1 on it.) I've been trying to connect to the internet to get updates, etc, but it won't work. I went into the command prompt and did ipconfig/all and all it says is Windows IP Configuration.

I should mention that I have DSL and the computer is connected to the modem. I do have a laptop connected wirelessly which works fine. I believe all my modem connections are good. Not sure where to go from here?

Thanks so much!

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

After you reinstalled XP, you're now missing all the drivers not included on the XP Install disk (which includes your network driver)

1) Go to the download support site for your vendor (e.g. HP or Dell) or motherboard provider (e.g. Gigabyte). You;ll find the drivers there for download avaialbe by:
    > Your specific computer model
    > Which version of windows OS installed

Also, once connected to internet be sure to upgrade to SP#

For the future, See How to backup your drivers (and reinstall them later if and when needed!)

3. sunshine98031

sunshine98031 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you very much for your answer. I was able to get the drivers and now have internet access to that computer. My next question is, now that I have all that, I am getting a pop up message that Windows needs to be activated and that my product key is unauthorized. This doesn't make sense to me being that I've used this computer for the past 6 years without a problem and now that I needed to install a new hard drive, it is now giving me problems. Any suggestions on where to find this product key?

Thank you so much!

4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,372   +167

The "Windows Activation" key was stored on the old disk that crashed. When you reinstalled you must not have entered the key. You get 30 days (as i recall) before Windows demands a valid activation key

Do you still have the installation CD packaging? You should find the activation key on a sticker on the CD case. Or if you bought a computer from a vendor like Dell, HP, Sony you may need to call them to prove you bought the computer from them and get a new key.

5. jaydeee

jaydeee Banned Posts: 24

guess it has something to do with your internet connection type. Like if you're give IP address to the server or username and password?

if you're given username and password then you have to connect to your internet(server) manually like dialing a dial-up connection.

and if you have IP address then you should be connected to the internet automatically when you start your computer.

hope it helps.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.