New hard drive not recognized as boot device

By biglau
May 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell Vostro 220 running XP with all updates installed. My harddrive started going bad and clicking, so I ordered a new drive from WD and used the WD imaging tool to copy the drive. I then installed the new drive with the jumper set to master like the old one. The PC starts up and says no boot device found. If I hit F12 during the BIOS startup I can select the drive and it boots fine and runs well. I have used FDISK with Windows 98, but not XP so I am a little nervous to perform an MBR and wiping out the drive.

Thoughts?
  2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

Reboot the PC with the windows xp disc in the drive. Press the R key to start the Recovery Console and select the windows installation that is on your drive then at the command prompt type fixboot c: and hit Enter. Replace the C: if the OS drive letter is different. Then remove the CD, type Exit and hit Enter to restart the PC.

Hopefully this will work. If not I would run a Repair install by booting from the XP disc, follow the prompts as if you were going to reinstall untill you reach a menu that has Repair Install on it. This will not wipe out any of your data or software but you should reinstall windows updates and check all your drivers.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.