New hard-drive not recognized in bios yet loaded new OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stvchris

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 that I installed a new Seagate Barracuda model

7500.10 part no. 9DJ04E-305 250 Gb hard drive in. The O/S, Windows xp,

installed but the hard drive is not recognized in the BIOS unless I install the

jumper in the master position, when this is done the computer boots to the black

screen that says "NTLDR missing". I have installed the NTLDR file in the folder I

found it in on my laptop but still get the same results. This is the only hard-drive

and I flashed the BIOS. Any help would be appreciated.

I believe the GX270 is a PATA/EIDE machine. There are two Dell OptiPlex GX270 models... The small form factor with one hard drive, and the tower which has space for four two or more hard drives. Which model do you have?
When you install the hard drive in the GX270, with windows XP, this problem does not occur, but you must use either the Master Jumper, or the Cable Select jumper on an EIDE cable that is 80 conductor, 40 connector. You should download from www.seagate.com the tools to reformat your drive and start over.
Then if you are using the Dell Windows XP reinstall disk that is Service Pack 1a, the drive will give you trouble if you have more than 137 GB... You can obtain a Service Pack 2 version from Dell if you are the registered owner.
Be sure your EIDE cable is not bent, crimped, or damaged in some other way. There have been a lot of cable troubles because of the way the case opens and closes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back