New hard drive not recognized

Hi from glenaurora

I have recently installed a 2nd 500GB HD and it will not work on my desktop. It's use is for extra capacity only. The OS is Windows XP home. It is installed via the shared ribbon cable with the original 160GB HD. The ribbon cable is plugged into the secondary mother board connector(this is the way it's always been) The 500GB HD(New) is connected to power and the grey 40 pin connector and the 160GB HD(Old) connected to the black 40 pin connector The old HD is set to "master" and the new HD is set to "slave" When both are connected I get a message upon boot up telling me there is no OS installed. When I disconnect the 500GB HD from power and the ribbon cable everything works fine. Could this be a matter of formatting the new HD or does it need to be connected seperately to the primary ribbon cable connector on the mother board? It only lists HD :C and at no time lists the other HD.

It might just be an issue with boot priorities in BIOS. Head into BIOS and check the boot order.

Ideally you want it to be the following:

1st: CD/DVD drive
2nd: Your 160GB hard drive with the OS installed.
3rd: Can be anything really.

Have you tried testing the drive with something like SeaTools It should work with most hard drives. You need to install the hard drive and software in another computer to use it, but you tell if your drive is working or not.So you can find that why your new hard Drive not recognize

Set the jumpers on the new drive cable select, make sure it's on the second connector on the IDE cable.

Other than that I'm not sure why it won't show in the disk manager.

Back