TechSpot

New hard drive XP install

By wakayama
Jan 6, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Notebook was broken, so I bought new hard drive and want to install XP.

But when I put new drive and start XP install CD, computer screen say, " no hard drive detected".

So I use USB 2.0 to IDE & SATA cable to install OS to new hard drive.
    I connect this cable to another Windows Computer ( it's working perfect : I try XP and Vista computer ).
    I start XP CD and after install process restart computer, but computer doesn't install OS.

I format new hard drive.

How can I do?

2. Daproblemis

Daproblemis TS Rookie Posts: 53

When you say broken, what did not work with the old drive? Without any specs kinda difficult. Will the old drive work on a different computer? If so, the problem was not the hard drive. Best I can do with limited information.

Thanks

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,442   +220

If the new hard drive is SATA, you will have to install SATA/RAID controller drivers at the F6 prompt. However, you'll need a floppy drive for this to work. If you don't have a floppy drive, you can still install the SATA drivers by making a slipstream CD. Google for instructions on how to make the CD.

4. theone419

theone419 TS Rookie

are the jumper settings correct?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.