New hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to install a new hard drive in my emachine it had a 200 gig and i replaced it with a WD 320 gig. I finally got windows to load put it only sees about 127 gigs.
how do i open the rest of it?

yes i think

when windows loaded it went through a format and partion. the new drive is a WD320 and the software that came with it said i needed to fix it in window dos?

Open disk management tools from administration panel and check if there isn't any unassigned space. If there is... simply make a next partition from it. That's it.

Very first thing:
>> Have you apply all the Windows updates
>> If you're running XP make sure you have all the Hardware updates applied as well

Once you complete above, then i'd worry about the disk drive space if a problem

/* edit */
btw.. only seeing 127GB sounds like on OLD XP problem. (don't know what you;re running or how old the version) so do all the updates first

You may be using an eMachine Windows version that is Service Pack 1. Service Pack one will only go to 137 GB raw before formatting... If you use Service Pack 2 or 3, you can go up to at least 1.5 GB.
A lot of the eMachines shipped with WXPH SP 1, because the largest drive they sold was 80 GB...
Often, but not always, you can use a regular Windows XP Home disk with Service Pack 2 and use the product ID from your eMachines case sticker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back