New images reveal structures of the solar wind as it travels toward and impacts Earth

abe10tiger

Science News

Using data collected by NASA's STEREO spacecraft, researchers at Southwest Research Institute and the National Solar Observatory have developed the first detailed images of solar wind structures as plasma and other particles from a coronal mass ejection (CME) traveled 93 million miles and impacted Earth.

110818142752.jpg

Newly reprocessed archival data from STEREO-A/SECCHI show details of the first Earth-directed coronal mass ejection (CME) of the STEREO mission, from inception on December 12, 2008, to Earth impact on December 15, 2008. New processing enables following the details of the CME with the wide-field heliospheric imager cameras, out to impact with the Earth 93 million miles from the Sun. (Credit: Courtesy of SwRI/NASA)

Source:Science Daily

What those it mean for Humans? Will it be very dangerous or just something that will be harmless for us and our planet?

What those it mean for Humans? Will it be very dangerous or just something that will be harmless for us and our planet?

I don't think I'm as well versed in affairs of space as Abe may be, but from what I know, the Earth has and always be subject to these "solar winds". From what I know, as long as the solar winds aren't aiming and or guiding anything severely radioactive towards us, we will be fine. Also we are pretty safe from any effects that could be felt from these solar winds, due to the fact that the Earth is protected by a massive magnetic field, kind of act's like shields on a star ship. But NASA and some within that community are reporting that something may cause the Sun to beam or jet out something like a spike, beam or pulse that will be very radioactive and might ride the solar winds towards us in 2012. We will then see if our Earth's shields are good enough to handle the blow.

But NASA and some within that community are reporting that something may cause the Sun to beam or jet out something like a spike, beam or pulse that will be very radioactive and might ride the solar winds towards us in 2012. We will then see if our Earth's shields are good enough to handle the blow. .

Oww Boy, Just like the movie Knowing,
Knowingposter08.jpg

But remove the part with the aliens. XD

Back