New iPads rumored for next month, iPhone 5S to debut in August

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple is planning to release next generation iPads, probably the iPad 5 and the iPad mini 2, as early as next month. Furthermore, Cupertino could release the iPhone 5S in August according to sources familiar with Apple’s plans as reported by iMore.

The publication claims the iPhone 5S will feature the same basic design as the iPhone 5 but will carry a more advanced processor and a better camera. The idea of an S-class phone is very plausible given Apple’s track record (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S) but one has to wonder how much longer they will be able to maintain this strategy.

The next wave of iPads could be unveiled as soon as April. Late last month a number of iPad 5 cases hit the market in China which, if legit, show a redesign of the full-size iPad to accommodate corners that are more square than the current version. Furthermore, there appears to be an additional hole on the backside for what is presumed to be a microphone as well as two openings on the bottom of the case for stereo speakers.

Previous early case releases have been hit or miss really as some nailed a new design before it was announced while others missed the mark completely.

We’ll have to wait and see what Apple has in store for the coming months but as iMore believes, hardware alone may not be enough as they believe iOS and iCloud will be the most important factors moving forward.

Permalink to story.

Apple.. you're totally missing the point. Then again wouldn't most of the market miss it also? Repackaged for the most part, small upgrades and claim it's worth this huge price tag. This is why I don't jump into the smartphone market, soon as you get one it's already been obsolete usually. That and prices are so unreasonable with some carriers, that I'd rather stick to other means of communication.

Guess I'm too "old fashioned" at my young age, to really find the reason to sort of adopt this nonsense. There's been no reason I need one, and with companies bleeding you dry? I'd rather stick with a minimalist mindset, then go so over budget for too much and be in the red.

Compare to what is coming out off the Samsung's sleeve Apple is not looking to me a "user experience" or any kind of innovation driven company.
Apple though seems to excel in winning every law suit only that gives nothing back to the consumer who subsidizes their huge legal expenses.

Compare to what is coming out off the Samsung's sleeve Apple is not looking to me a "user experience" or any kind of innovation driven company.
Apple though seems to excel in winning every law suit only that gives nothing back to the consumer who subsidizes their huge legal expenses.

Seems their lawsuit also took a tumble. I wonder what Apple will do, to ensure everything sticks. Must be not enough "Apple is good" money, or they simply can't buy off this judge. Which is a surprising twist, Apple can't have it's control on everything?

For anyone not aware, this is what I'm referring to. :)

The Galaxy S4 and Note 3 will overwhelm Apple this year. Bet a month's pay the 5S looks exactly like the 5 How in the world does the Iphone even still survive like this?

I don't know much about smartphones, I have a 'free' samsung phone and no data plan so I only call and text with these things. But I just googled the S2, S3, and S4. I'm not seeing anything terribly innovative in that succession either. It looks pretty similar to the succession made by apple with the 3, 3gs, 4, 4s, 5. What am I missing?

I think this is the last good year for Apple. They've been relying too much on small updates to push new hardware and these rapid releases are bound to piss off recent buyers. They could at least support their older hardware with some significant software updates. With such a quick release cycle and the market becoming saturated with similar products, Apple products don't look so special anymore.

How does it survive? It works. plain and simple. It doesn't have bloated software running in the background, it doesn't lock up or reboot itself, the battery actually lasts more than a few hours and of course, its a quality piece of engineering, unlike plastic droid phones.

How does it survive? It works. plain and simple. It doesn't have bloated software running in the background, it doesn't lock up or reboot itself, the battery actually lasts more than a few hours and of course, its a quality piece of engineering, unlike plastic droid phones.

Yep.

I don't know much about smartphones, I have a 'free' samsung phone and no data plan so I only call and text with these things. But I just googled the S2, S3, and S4. I'm not seeing anything terribly innovative in that succession either. It looks pretty similar to the succession made by apple with the 3, 3gs, 4, 4s, 5. What am I missing?
The huge leap forward is indeed in Galaxy 4

^ What is the huge leap? From what I gathered you get a better screen (bigger size too maybe? so that maybe isn't good), and a faster processor. These are the same bumps every major smartphone gets, which is fine. But people ***** that there isn't any innovation by Apple, and I'm just saying I'm not seeing it elsewhere either.

Back