TechSpot

New iPhone rumors: 20% thinner with 4-inch screen and Gorilla Glass 2

By Shawn Knight
May 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The new iPhone is likely still several months away but information pertaining to the next generation Apple handset is already making the rounds. The latest news on the new iPhone...

Read the whole story

2. A different aspect ratio strikes me as extremely unlikely. This would case massive incompatibility issues with all previous apps.

3. which is why apps are updated =P

or they may do what they did for AIO apps like tap tap revenge, and add a increase size button.
    like the iPad has a small button on the bottom right of the app which goes from the size if the iPhone, and opens the app bigger to take up majority of the iPad's larger screen.

4. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

5. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

@TS, why no news on the Galaxy S3? And GTX690 ? I never even knew those were launching untill I went over to engadget

6. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Enthusiast Posts: 162   +22

the iphone screen will not be bigger unless they go for 2 sizes, the 3.5 size has been a cash cow they would be crazy to ditch that

7. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,075   +84 Staff Member

8. doradhorror

doradhorror TS Rookie Posts: 36

It better have a 720p screen or else they'll be behind in the smartphone market. Samsung Galaxy S3 is gonna kick butt.

9. This actually seems likely to me. They have to increase the volume of the phone in general in order to fit the LTE tech that's needed and the larger accompanying battery. If the phone has the same width but a longer length (which appears to be what's in the picture) it would actually be very easy to incorporate apps that haven't yet been upgraded to the new aspect ratio - place black bars on either end. It would be a temporary solution until apps are upgraded to the new aspect ratio, but I imagine it would be rather elegant.

10. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Yeah? And you don't realize that when Apple made BOTH of it's Retina displays (iPhone 4 and Next iPad) they kept the same aspect ratio to keep from developers having to redevelop everything.

I just hope they don't make the screen that tall. One of the things that makes the current iPhone 3.5" look bigger than it actually is, is it's width. Nokia had a 3.2" on it's 5800 and it look small because it was tall. At the same time my Optimus has a 3.2" screen that's wider and it actually looks bigger than it really is.

11. Is that all you got Apple, boy that iPhone better be packing some serious hardware inside. But knowing Apple it will be just below average in specs.

12. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Why is the home button still there ffs

13. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,394   +483 Staff Member

Looks like a lot of iPhone glass to smash.

14. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

15. Inarius03

Inarius03 TS Member Posts: 25

20% more AMAZING and INNOVATIVE! *hurl*

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.