New iPod Touch available in stores, pre-orders begin shipping

Rick

Staff

Despite accepting pre-orders, Apple has maintained only a vague "October" ship date for their latest iPod Touch. However, as of today, it appears units have finally begun shipping from China. If you aren't one of the soon-to-be-delighted customers awaiting their pre-ordered iPod Touch to arrive, it may please you to know that the latest iPod is also now available in stores. Prices are $299 and $399 for the 32GB and 64GB models, respectively.

This release marks the iPod Touch's fifth iteration and arguably constitutes the biggest change-up since the introduction of the device itself. Apple's previous generation, the iPod Touch 4G, was launched in 2010 and was analogous to the iPhone 4. As such, the 5G stands to be a significant upgrade in a few ways.

For starters, it comes in five colors -- three of which have led me to believe Johnny Ive was both abducted by and supplanted with the Easter Bunny. For the record, these colors include a kinda-black, silver aluminum, lemony yellow, a striking aqua blue and a rose pink that's so elegantly pink, it would make Elle Woods blush.

The iPod Touch 5G may be more iPhone-y than ever, too. Their latest offering shares a very strong semblance to the iPhone 5, thanks to Apple's decision to maintain the same button layout as its smartphone counterpart.

Despite the physical similarities though, the 5G is essentially an amalgamation of the iPhone 4S and 5 -- the iPhone 5-like casing houses a dual-core A5 chip a la 4S, but sports Apple's improved (or perhaps not so much) low-light CMOS cameras and a 4-inch 16:9 aspect ratio display. In terms of software, the device is stuffed with FaceTime HD, Siri and iOS 6. 

One more interesting change the 5G brings to Apple's iPod lineup is their newly designed earbuds. Purportedly in development for nearly three years, the company believes their newest earphones are the most comfortable and best sounding ones yet. Personally, I think the bar was set pretty low though -- I admit to never caring very much for the OOTB earbuds.

Permalink to story.

Love these quotes:

"For starters, it comes in five colors -- three of which have led me to believe Johnny Ive was both abducted by and supplanted with the Easter Bunny..." & "...a striking aqua blue and a rose pink that's so elegantly pink, it would make Elle Woods blush."

Keep up that imagination :)

I'm sorry, but the author is wrong.
The iPod touch IS NOT available in retail stores. I went to two different Apple stores today as well as one Best Buy. Neither had any idea what I was talking about when I asked if they had any of the new iPod Touches in stock.

Guest: Retail stores seldom inform their employees when a product is going to be made available. They usually find out that these products exist through their customers. You can find them at their online stores however.

I'm still using my 1st Gen iPod Touch. I would have hoped that in the time I've owned this (since 2006) that Apple would have improved the capacity, reduced the price, and given me better excuse for upgrading it than, "its old."

It is available in stores today, just not in the us, only in tokyo

This is pretty ridiculous. I guess this is how Apple operates.

Where is the innovation, such as built in 3G, water-resistant ports, etc.
A new camera and a slightly larger screen is not a major overhaul...

I'll hang onto my iPod Touch 4G for some time longer.

Uh that's a very simplistic interpretation. First of all it's an IPS screen, the same one used on the iPhone 5. With your 4th gen it's a TN screen.

Second of all the A5 with 512MB of RAM makes a huge difference. The RAM is a very limiting factor on the 256MB devices. So you get a GPU 7x the speed of the SGX535 in your iPod, and a CPU around twice as fast.

If they build in 3G, who the hell would buy the iPhone? They'd just activate data only plans and use free voice+text services. You really perpetuate the stereotype that Apple fans don't know what they're talking about, and it makes all of us other Apple users look bad. Stop.

Uh that's a very simplistic interpretation. First of all it's an IPS screen, the same one used on the iPhone 5. With your 4th gen it's a TN screen.

Second of all the A5 with 512MB of RAM makes a huge difference. The RAM is a very limiting factor on the 256MB devices. So you get a GPU 7x the speed of the SGX535 in your iPod, and a CPU around twice as fast.

If they build in 3G, who the hell would buy the iPhone? They'd just activate data only plans and use free voice+text services. You really perpetuate the stereotype that Apple fans don't know what they're talking about, and it makes all of us other Apple users look bad. Stop.

You sir are a breath of fresh air for Apple users. Thank you for showing me there is hope!

I Love The New Ipod - It Is Wok Of Art And A Brilliant Thinking And Innovation
I Currently Have A Ipod 4th Generation But I Am Going To Buy This Too ( My Sister Can Have My 4th Generation - She's Been Trying To Buy It From Me For Months.)
And Personally I Don't Care About All The Negative Things People Have To Say About The New Apple Products Or Apple It Self - I Love Apple . :)

I noticed the iPhone resemblance too with how they went with the Retina display this time as well as including Siri and Maps. These improvements were greatly needed since there were so few improvements between G3 and G4 editions. I wasn’t motivated to upgrade back then for those reasons. My DISH coworker has a new iPod 5G, which got me thinking about getting a new one. The increased processing power on the 5G model would be great for when I use my DISH Remote Access App for watching TV too. It’s sweet because I have my shows recorded on my DVR and use my DISH Sling Adapter to send the shows to my iPod so I can watch whenever I want to, like when I take the light rail to work.

Back