New ISP

By JudJer
Oct 30, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I just bought a condo in Hilton Head, and the association is converting ISP's. There is currently a wireless network with a modem and router. With the new ISP and fios, will I still need these things for my laptop? If I am not asking the correct question, can you tell me what I need to ask my association. I will not be there when the conversion takes place. If I sound illiterate about this, I truly am.
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Does each unit get it's own connection? If so, then you will need a modem and a router, Verizon will provide everything you need. If the building just has a wireless network that you can connect to from any condo then you don't need anything.
  3. JudJer

JudJer Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 22

Thanks. These are the questions I will ask. I hope it is the latter so I can get rid of those nasty cords.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

It very much depends upon the choices made buy the association.
    Typically, you will pay the association a fee for Internet access and they will provide you with
    a connection. They then are the point of contact for problems and they call the ISP rather than you. With this setup, the association will have the only modem and a large router which connects to each condo. If you have more than one system, you will need a switch between the connect to the association and your systems - - if you have a router already, we can get that to work for you just as well.

The other choice of install is just like whatever you have now; you're a customer to the ISP, they provide the Modem and you connect to it.

I'm sure you will get detail instructions from the manager on how & when to proceed.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,397   +830

Since FIOS is usually sold as a package, is your cable TV and phone migrating to Verizon as well.?

I'm pretty paranoid, and envision the condo assn, not permitting other networks a foothold in the collective.
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

I would guess that too - - the association becomes the vendor - - and hikes the rates as extra income to them :(

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.