New Items, Computer Doesnt Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
New mobo, cpu, ram, graphics card. old HDD. wont get past the screen where you choose "Safe Mode, etc, Last good config, and start windows normally". tried putting windows cd in to do a repair install but it doesnt work. help

"Doesn't work" means what? A huge dialog comes up saying "I won't work!"?

You should have uninstalled all the drivers for your old devices before putting in the new ones. Now a repair install or putting back the old mobo are the only solutions unless you are willing to make a clean install.

Didnt Think of That

i didnt think of trying that
ill give it a go and get back to you
would i need to install the new drivers while i have the old one in too? or is that just silly?

Thanks

I generally always go a complete reinstall after a motherboard replacement - in effect, a new mobo is a new machine, and it has to be treated as such. I think you will get far better performance from your hardware investiment if you reinstall.

would i need to install the new drivers while i have the old one in too? or is that just silly?

No, that's silly.

You cannot take an installation of Windows 2000 / XP and move it to another computer, nor change the core components of your computer and expect it to work unfortunately. Sometimes it will, most of the time it won't.. Even if you uninstall the drivers etc.

The only real way to fix this issue is a Windows repair. instructions are here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

You mentioned the repair doesn't work, could you explain what it does or doesn't do?

Go to Device Manager. Uninstall all drivers pertaining to your motherboard. If you can't tell which ones they are then you are better off doing a repair or a clean install.

As said before you will get a much faster computer if you format and reinstall. Repair install on another mobo will leave you with a very messy system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back