New Laptop : Sager NP8662

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragebflame

Hi guys.
Its time I purchased a new laptop and i was looking for something portable but with decent gaming power.

I have settled on the Sager NP8662
(http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=160092)

SPEC:

Processor

45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz) / P8600 (2.40GHz) / P8700 (2.53GHz), 3MB L2 Cache, 1066FSB, 478uFC-PGA, Socket P

Memory

Supports Dual Channel DDRIII SDRAM
Two 204Pin SODIMM sockets
Expandable up to 8GB DDRIII 1066MHz (32 bit OS editions have a memory limitation of 2.8 GB. Other hardware or application limitations may further prevent use of all installed memory. Windows Vista 64bit is required for memory configurations of 4GB and above.)

Display

15.4" (16:10) WSXGA+ (1680x1050) with Super Clear Glare Type Screen or

Graphics Processor

nVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 260M with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory or
PCI-Express™ 16X
Microsoft® DirectX® 10 Compatible
HDCP supported

Storage

1 Detachable 2.5" 9.5mm (H) SATA Hard Disk Drive
1 12.7mm (H) Optical Drive Bay, SATA Interface
Interchangeable with DVD±R/RW Combo drive, Blu-ray/DVD±R/RW Combo Drive

Audio System

Built-in High Definition Sound System
SRS WOW Surround Sound Technology inside
3D stereo enhanced Sound system
Compatible Sound-Blaster PRO™
S/PDIF Digital output 7.1CH
1 Built-in Microphone
2 Built-in Speakers

Pointing Device

Integrated Touchpad with Scrolling function

Keyboard

Full Sized Keyboard
Windows Hot keys
Integrated with Hot Keys for LCD Brightness, Suspend, Panel/CRT Display
Hot Keys for E-Mail and Web Browser

I/O Ports

1 DVI output Port
1 HDMI output Port
3 USB 2.0 Ports
1 eSATA Port
1 Headphone Jack
1 Microphone Jack
1 S/PDIF output Jack
1 RJ-45 LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)
1 RJ-11 Modem
1 IEEE-1394a Fire Wire

Slots

1 Express Card 34 / 54 Slot
7-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/SD/Mini-SD)
2 MiniCard Slots (1st for Turbo Memory Module, 2nd for WLAN)

Communication

Built-in 56K MDC modem with V.90 & V.92 compliant
Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Bluetooth™ V2.0 + EDR module
Intel® 5300AGN 802.11a/b/g/n wireless LAN

Anyone have any experience with these laptops or any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Dan:)

For a gaming machine, it is always wise to get a machine with a history of support, and with the ability to provide you with parts, driver updates, and upgrades. Problems are so common on laptop gamers as they get close to 1 1/2 years old, that you should not want the risk of a failed component then find the laptop company has gone out of business because of the bad economic climate.

Sager is a very good company I know a lot of techs use these laptops for years. They're huge but Sager stands behind the laptop they sell. You don't have to worry about a Sager laptop, but they're heavier than what is sold today. I always recommend the Sager because those who need the best features 3 HDD 500GB max out memory max out CPU etc.. That's what Sager does in a laptop!

Enjoy!

Tell me about it. We have a stack of 19 of them piling up in our shop since December... not fixable. No parts. No support after the warranty period is over. No motherboards when dead... They also make, or made very small, light thin ones. We deal with a lot of companies who bought them for their sales teams or field inspection teams.

For an interesting tour, go look at a bunch of three or four year old Sagers and see how many are still working...

There are hundreds of small companies who make pretty good stuff, but do not have the management nor the money to keep going through bad times... And their users are often screwed by the inability to get support or parts... inverters that goe out... cpu fans... power jack sockets that break off the motherboard...

If you want laptops that won't last, might as well get a Sony VAIO... at least they are pretty... and don't use ASUS parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back