New laptop, wireless network disconnecting

By British_Command
May 24, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've just got a new laptop and for some reason, I can connect wirelessly fine but when everyone else in the household comes on after a while it will disconnect everyone from the router and it has to be turned on and off. We had this problem a while back when my brother came back from university and started using his laptop. We have around an xbox 360 and 3 computers/laptops connecting at any one time, and none of them doing any heavy downloading.

I do not think it's wireless interference from other devices since it always seems to happen when a certain number of devices connect to the router.

I have a D-link DIR635 router, and we all connect via wireless G or ethernet.

Please help, this has been a recurring problem and it's beyond me,
    I can provide router logs etc. just ask!

Thanks
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,031   +222

look for a firmware update for the router

AND

a WiFi driver update for your laptop.

Then get a copy of NetStumbler, scan the network and see if you can find a channel that has
    no other SSIDs on it.
  3. British_Command

British_Command TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 224

Thanks

Thanks but I have updated the firmware on my router, my router also has an auto function scan which finds the most suitable channel to broadcast.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.