New Laptop with Windows Vista IE error

Status
Not open for further replies.

top_model_guy

So, I just got a new laptop last Thursday (so I've had it for 4 days) and from the very first day, I've had this constant problem with Internet Explorer not being able to close without displaying a message saying it has encountered an error and is looking for a solution whereafter it follows with a restart of the explorer. I don't believe I have any virus (I know this was the solution to some members similar problem). Also, my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop has windows Vista (that horrible thing) If you can please direct me in the right direction to go it'd be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. For anyone who remembers my topic about getting a Macbook, I settled for this laptop because it was given to me for free (couldn't beat that lol).

Yes I remember that long topic about MS (Free you say? Damn!)

Try this:

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Refer here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx
For even more options

Still acting the same way:( though I'm not sure I am doing this right--is RIES a program I need to run or just the operation name for those 5 steps you've listed? Thanks

I think, I'll just work with firefox until until someone can give me a valid fix or until the new internet explorer officially comes out (non-beta version). Thanks everyone (and yes, I'm still open for resolutions :) )

I think I figured it out:cool: : Windows Vista comes with 2 versions of internet explorer (one is a 64-bit version) and the non 64-bit one was the default for some reason. Once I found this 64-bit explorer and utilized it, it closed perfectly without any hassle. What I don't get though is that if this 64-bit is the one compatible with windows Vista, then why isn't it the default browser and why is the other version there at all? Why must Mr. Gate's company make things so difficult (or HP whomever it is)?

P.S. Since I found the working version on my computer, is there a way I can remove the non 64-bit version? (I can't find it on the uninstall a program list)

There are actually two shortcuts for Internet Explorer in the "All Programs" menu.

Here's the title of each and the exe's they run:

Internet Explorer (32-bit)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Internet Explorer (64-bit)
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Right-Click the Shortcut
Click "Properties"
On the Shortcut tab, replace the content of the "Target" textbox with the target from the "Internet Explorer (64-bit)" shortcut in the "All Programs" menu.

To repair your 32Bit version try this:
1. Go to start -> run -> cmd and type following in command prompt followed by enter:
netsh winsock reset
2. restart computer

Why use (and have) 32 bit?
It seems there were some issues with the 64Bit version, regarding Flash Player and other non-compatible programs. I believe these are now resolved.
But the 32Bit remains, just in case something was missed!

Also by default Vista 64-bit also loads Media Player 32bit. To change this do the same steps as you did to change the internet explorer link.

Well that was interesting to learn, thank-you :)

Your fix for the 32-bit didn't work:( : when I did it, the window said "the requested operation requires elevation" and I thought that referred to rebooting the computer like you said so I did; but still nothing changed--the 32-bit still cannot shut down properly. Then I just ran into the 64-bits problem--it isn't supported by flash and thus no youtube for me when using it:evil:
Why couldn't I just get a free mac! lol! Darn this flaw in evolution known as Vista:suspiciou

Well I found the above info by searching but the Start->Run->cmd issue I think I know already, try this

To actually see the Run Command in Vista (other than in Programs->Accessories )
Right Click the start
VistaStartButton.jpg
and select properties.
Click Customize
Tick the ‘Run Command’ box and OK twice

To run Command Prompt normlly
Click the Start
VistaStartButton.jpg
button
In the Search box, type cmd

To run Command Prompt as Administrator
Click the Start
VistaStartButton.jpg
button
In the Search box, type cmd
In the list of results,
Right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
You’ll be prompted to approve the action (the next stupid Vista thing)

At last when you have the Command prompt opened as Administrator Command Prompt! then type:

netsh winsock reset

And then restart your computer

Incredible (OMG I might have to explain that, every time I ask someone to run cmd)

I did all that and still have the same issue:dead: Why oh, why couldn't they just have keep the nice little Windows XP and its internet compatibility?
Still thanks Kimsland;) Everyone, I'm still open for any help. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back