New Mac virus skirts Gatekeeper, initiates creepy reverse-shell connection

By Rick
Feb 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A new trojan virus is targeting computers running Mac OS X and initiating an encrypted reverse-shell connection, allowing attackers potentially unfettered access to infected machines armed with basic, inbound-only firewalls. Security firm Intego appears to be the first to report...

Read more
  2. ArthurZ

ArthurZ Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

Thanks gains in popularity the mass-virusification of the iOS/MACs has started.
  3. Classified1

Classified1 Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

I was expecting it sooner or later lol.
  4. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 575   +31

Uh oh...time to switch to Linux. ;p (depending on the distro - it can be very difficult for a casual user to allow things to get screwed up - ie installing crapware, bypassing admin level permission...)
  5. Obviously any anti-virus developer is eager to inflate any fear of a virus on a Mac, but could anyone explain to me, how can a virus appear on my computer, if I don't install any unknown or pirated software? In the article it is unclear how the "virus" would get into a computer in the first place.
  6. highlander84

highlander84 TechSpot Member Posts: 98   +20

I have yet to see a virus for Linux that can do any harm with out SU or root.... So unless your dumb enough to run as root, or allow something unknown root access...
  7. Ever hear of drive-by infection?
    There are many ways you can get infected without actually installing something yourself.
  8. *nix is susceptible to exploits by allowing normal users to exploit out-dated or patch-less services, e.g., Sendmail.

Also, this hack was accomplished through a Java exploit, which is also exploitable on *nix.
  9. spencer

spencer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

But macs don't get viruses

JK
  10. A reverse shell is pretty bad. I'd consider that just as harmful as a virus.
  11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,479   +292

The java exploit one is different from what am reading.

The one this article mentions has not been seen in the wild. It not being seen in the wild and being discovered by Intego can lead to some speculation on its origin. They also reported it as a targeted attack (although they didn't say who was targeted) so threat to the general public at this point is very low.

12. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Booster Posts: 351   +38

You have to be already infected for the reverse shell to be accessed so...
  13. I would rather stick with Mac than to switch to Linux. Why? I'm using Time Capsule, iPhone (with iTunes), and Final Cut Pro X on my Mac. Can Linux support those? No! Those three things are too important for me to give up for a security feature that is too superficial in comparison.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.