New mobo but have oem xp help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccube83

hi i read this thread

techspot.com /vb/topic92054. html (sorry for the spaces and not the full link but i had two in order to put it there cause this is only my 2nd post) and i had a question i am about to upgrade to a better mobo . i have a compaq which has a OEM version of xp that came with it when i got the computer in 04. i dont have a disk for it. ive never used the key on the side of the tower . never had to do a reinstall . ive did alot of searching on this and alot of the stuff that i found said i couldnt do it . i would have to buy a new xp. but what is wrote in that thread gave me hope lol so that is why i am writing. wheni put the new mobo in and i have to call , is this going to be accepted? please write back with any info , and i appologize again if this is a hassle thanks in advace for any advice given
oh and if there is any info that is needed , i will give... ive did alot of researching and have found a lot of little things people have said to get around this but i want to do it the right way and this is like my last resort right here. it wouldnt be a issue if i had the money to get it, but that is the issue, im getting the mobo as a gift.

i will be getting my new mobo either tomorrow or the next, hopefuly i will find out some infor before hand.

It sounds like you have a compaq recovery disk not an OEM disk. Either way, from what i understand, new mobo = new computer = new license.

I always thought that you could just download all your drivers ahead of time, burn them to CD, then when you install the new motherboard, as long as you use the same HDD, Windows will freak out, but you could just install the new drivers and be back up and running. Could be wrong as I have never tried this, and will be trying for the first time tomorrow, I have an OEM disk so not worried but I am going to try not to reinstall

what i have read in the past couple of days from like 100 different websites is that there is a chance it will work or not. i read that yes get the drivers ahead of time , uninstall the old drivers for the old motherboard right before you shutdown last before you put in the new one and then do it.. but still there i i havnt found a exact yes or no to it.. like if it i says i do need to reactivate it, is there any chance at all that i will get it reactivated?? from the link that i posted from a thread here it seems likey but i am not for sure..

couldn't tell you as of today, but as of tomorrow I will know for sure, because i have my new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card coming

well my mobo and cpu should be here tomorrow as well lol i might wait for you to do it lol and reply back and see your results ... but i dont have a OEM disk... i will have to use a friends full version of XP disk. using my number on the side of the tower.. im not wanting to do a full reinstall..

I'm sure that you will do just fine if you use any install disc...then provide the product key that you have on the side of your case. All you have to do: (if it gets to the phone activation stage) is to tell the person (they are usually in India) that you had to replace the motherboard (and whatever else if they ask) for repair reasons. You have this going for you: from what I understand you have not used this key over and over so it's not been questioned before. Of course you have to use an "XP Home" disk if it's an "XP Home" application ETC. I'm sure that you know that. The activation world of Windows is a trip, and I've been down many roads of it. I mean,...I changed my Ram from 2 Gigs to 4 Gigs and they put up a "Must re activate" flag. So I called them and re activated. In fact: one time, I was out of product keys for an XP Home install I was doing, (on a PC that I'd been using on and off) for about 3 years. Then I remembered there was that original prod. key on the sticker on the case. (original OEM key). So I used it and it went through the automated online activation with no problem. Good Luck!

ok thanks for replying pdyckman , well i dont want to go through the process of trying to make a bootable windows disk from the I386 folder , and my pc didnt come with any windows disk at all so i will have to use my friends XP disk . but all i am worried about is them saying they wont activate it if i have to make a call. cause its a OEM version. but thanks again, this is what i was looking for some one who has been through what i am about to go through and can say one way or another if they will activate it . lol so thanks again i appreciate it :)

Originally I was dual booting XP home and Vista premium

Mine worked, used an XP pro disk, when I had XP home installed, then used the XP home product key. No probs.

The only issue was when I decided to re-upgrade to vista, I had to call microsoft and tell them.

It even said that my Vista upgrade wouldn't work with XP Pro version then it upgraded anyways, and they still gave me the new activation numbers

well , congrats on getting it activated, i have to wait tell my mobo and cpu to get here on the 15th before i get to see if mine will work. so blind dragon did you download the new drivers and bios updates for you new motherboard before you changed the boards? this is my first mobo change so just trying to get all the info i can before hand.

yes i downloaded all the drivers I would need from ASUS ahead of time, don't know that it mattered much, i tried to do a repair after the computer freaked out and install the drivers manually from the CD that I burned them too, still didn't work I had to use an install disk, even though it wasn't my install disk, then I just used my product key, once windows was up and running with generic drivers I could have easily went online and got them, most of the drivers updated themselves through windows update.

The other thing, don't know if this is the same for everyone but my usb keyboard didn't work during setup, i had to go find my old ps/2 keyboard

ok cool, thanks for writing back and giving the info. i will probably just try to do a repair after i put in the new mobo . and ill have my old keyboard ready lol .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back