New mobo cpu still no post black screen no bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

treetops

My bros computer had no post black screen on boot, we narrowed down the problem to either the cpu or the mobo. He got a new Mobo a week ago, same result. He got a new cpu today, same result. He also has a new psu in it. Today we swapped this working video card with his to see if that was causing it. We tried 3 different known working monitors. When this problem first occured the old mobo made a beeping noise, one that was not identified in the mobo beep codes, however when we took out all the ram it beeped like it was supposed to with no ram. With the new mobo there is no beeping.

Things I tried with his old mobo, old cpu and with his new mobo old cpu:

1. Swapping out video card

2. Swapping out ram

3. Swapping out psu

4. Swapping out monitors

5. unplugging everything thats not essential

6. Jumping the bios

7.Unplugging the hard drives

What we tried with the new mobo new cpu

1. Swapping out video card

2. Swapping out ram

3. Swapping out psu

4. Swapping out monitors

5. unplugging everything thats not essential

6. Jumping the bios

7.Unplugging the hard drives

I have no clue what to do, my only guess is that we were sent a bad mobo. The old mobo had no burn marks where the cpu was, I don't even know if its possible that they both went bad at the same time. I was hoping through trial and error we would find out which one was bad and send the other one back.

New mobo

ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131232R

New cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115057
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core

You're absolutely 100% positive there is nothing touching the motherboard that would ground it? Is it on standoffs?

Its been seated and reseated, it doesn't look like anything is grounding it. It is on metal things that screws go into holding up the mobo, I have as many in as the mobo will allow (I think this is what you mean by stand offs), the old mobo worked fine with the same setup for about 3 years.

OK I see it now, I have read about this before, Iv never done it, ill get to it tomorrow before my brother ships the mobo back and looses 25$. By the way I forgot to add that it turns on fans spin light comes on and all that. Ill say again yeah im definitely giving this a whirl! Its the only thing I did not try when the problems first occurred.

No effect, iv tried all of that 2nd link before, I think its a bad board, when we powered on with no ram it didnt even beep. My bros gonna send it back today unless there are any other ideas.

Thanks for the help.

You can also try running less ram,i bought a new cpu in jan and when i put it in i had the same problems with the machine,i had 8gigs and when i removed 4gigs it booted up fine.

lol i think the problem is thats a 750 board probably need to update the bios to make the motherboard see the cpu thats a 45nm cpu i dont think the board is compatible right off the bat. yeah just looked it up have to update bios to make it compatible with quad core cpus there ya go man.

Hmm so I need to download the bios update, put it on a flash drive, plug it into the computer on boot and it self updates? Or do I need to put in another cpu to update it? The old cpu(duo) has the same result in the new mobo and its a duo, of course the old cpu could be bad. Regardless will be getting a replacement mobo in about 4 days in the mail.

Thanks kimsland, well there is no way for me to update the bios since the screen is black. So hmm if klepto is right will need to return the replacement board coming in the mail with a different mobo to fit the cpu. If there is a easier\better way of going about this im all ears.

Current plan
I will try out the new board when it arrives just in case it might work, ill try the new then the old cpu.

Plan B. return mobo buy one with appropriate bios for the cpu

I'd say plan B looks good

But...

If you are returning the board anyway, you just need to know how to load the new Bios file with your eyes closed ;)
This can be done if:
1. You know if the question is Yes as in Y to continue (basically all prompts)
2. You write a small autoexec.bat file to automate the process

ie it may say award bios.rom /y/force
By the way I don't know what the force bios command is, but it must exist ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back