New Mobo hangs on POST screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there.

I have just rebuilt my system and all was working well for a few day. Last night I turn it on and it just hung on the mobo splash screen for about 3 minutes. After that it boots up like it did before. I cleared the CMOS but it had no effect.
It is still within the timframe that I can exchange it but I would like to know if it is something that I am doing so I can avoid it.

Thanks

Double check everything in the manual... then talk to the motherboard manufacturer tech support... often there is a common cause.

Just off the top of my head I would make sure that your RAM is properly seated. I would also try swapping the RAM with other RAM just to make sure that it isn't faulty.

I don't have any spare ram to use. I found this program memtest86 that I will try when I get home.
I will check all of the connectors. The only other thing I can think of is something with the power supply. It is 480w but maybe that is not enough? I have most all of the connectors used up with 7 case fans, 2 disc drives, 3 hard drives, the vid card and the floppy.

480 watts is enough for most computers... It may not be perfect, depending on your components, but it should work well, if the video graphics card is not oversized.

memtest is a great program. I purchased the CD and it was well worth it. When you built the computer, did you install the proper bios and update it? is there a voltage switch on the PSU, and could it have been switched?

If you are using more than one stick of RAM you can try using just one stick at a time to see if they are the problem.

Well, I unplugged a hard drive, disc drive and all USBs other then the mouse and keyboard and it booted up just fine. The spash screen was gone before the monitor even warmed up.

Either 480w is not enough or the psu is bad. Either way I have a new 750w on order now so that should take care of it.

yeah man the power is important
i had a 200watt power and i was playing when suddenly it blowed out,i felt strange because this thing never happened to me before,so i upgraded my power to 500watt and its workin as well till now,and i hope it will work better and better

It could just as easily be an internal failure of any of those components you removed... and have nothing to do with the power supply.
Let us know how it prespires when the new power supply arrives and you put eveything back to together

It could just as easily be an internal failure of any of those components you removed... and have nothing to do with the power supply.
Let us know how it prespires when the new power supply arrives and you put eveything back to together

Looks like you were correct. In the end it turns out that when I have the printer plugged into the computer it causes the long post screen.

FYI its a Canon MP390

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back