New Mobo LED green, PSU/Mobo fans won't spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, I'm at my wits end here, and I was hoping one of you could point me in the direction of something else to try.

Working on friend's 2003ish eMachine (ick), because his motherboard chipset heatsink fell off. Used some thermal adhesive to stick the sucker back on, but when i hit the power button, nothing happens. However the motherboard led is on. So I pop in another working PSU that I had laying around, with the same thing happening.

At this point I figure the motherboard got fried, and ordered a no name gateway oem motherboard. I throw it in, and have the exact same issue. I try shorting the power pins to see if it was my power switch, and nada.

It might be that the processor was killed, but wouldn't the psu fan start up in that case? Or I ordered a dud motherboard with the same symptoms?

At this point I'm just not sure what step to take to resolve the problem. Any advice?

Run the motherboard outside the case with just CPU and memory installed. See if it starts. If not, the CPU could be fried or you have a defective motherboard. I hope you didn't use the old power supply with the replacement motherboard, if you did, you probably fried the 2nd motherboard

Try booting the computer with no RAM memory installed (if you have a buzzer or a internal speaker connected to the card) If it beeps it's a good thing, if it doesnt, the motherboard probably is fried. Remove the CMOS battery, leave the battery off, connect power to the card and try to power up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back