New Mobo no Vid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, im stuck as to what is going on here. Be patient because I do not have a great amount of experience in this area.

A week a go my comp restarted randomly a couple of times. Then it would not boot properly one day. Instead of a blue light I got a red light on the front panel, and nothing would appear on the monitor. Everything seemed to spin up but no video and the red light. I tried reseating everything, clearing the cmos/bios, getting a new battery, trying to start it without as many parts as possible, and blowing it out. All to no avail.

I figure at this point its probably my mobo or psu. I test the psu manually with a voltmeter to the 24 pin. Everything looked normal to me, but the diagram I used did not match my exact connecter. I did not get any unusual readings.... just the 3.5, 5, 12 I am supposed to?(if I can recall correctly).

I replace the mobo. The front led shows up all blue now. No video however! The keyboard lights flash and everything spins up.
The inside LEDs for mobo troubleshooting are reading normal.
Is it the PSU? If not, what is it?

Some details-
*Biostar tforce 4 u 775 (old) to a Biostar TP45 E (new) (I tried to replace it with a similar mobo since i am very new to this
*Pentium 4 3.2 ghz I believe
*not sure what the psu is, no markings on the sides so I got to pull it out....

Also, I figured I should mention my vid card is agp express. There is no onboard video. The vid card's fan spins although this may not be an indication of a working vid card. I doubt it is that being how my computer died in the first place.

Hi mbp505,

This may sound a bit ridiculous but have you tried connecting your computer to a different monitor if you have one?
Also, maybe a different VGA cable? If you replaced the whole mother board and its still not working and nothing shows up at all and you get no system beeps then i would say it is external to the mobo. Also like you said, it could also be a video card issue as well.

Hope everything turns out for you,

I plugged the laptop im using right now into my monitor, and changed the display options...It turned on and worked just fine. . I'm guessing that my vid card went out :( I just dont understand why it would cause my comp to reboot randomly first. Sucks that it happened 1 week before I started the new semester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back