New mobo, old sata hd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danascus

I just reinstalled a P4P800 SE motherboard in my PC. I used my old WD Caviar 80G sata HD, connected it. I have tried installing the drivers that came on the mobo cd, and one from asus website for the sata chipset (Intel 865PE chipset) yet I am still getting sent to the screen to where I have to choose to restart under last known good configuration, safe mode or start windows normally. Is there a way to install the drivers without using the windows xp disk? Do I have to reformat the HD(I want to avoid this)?
I am still a bit new to the Sata HD installation bit, so the more info the better.

Ok, hit a snag. It never found a previous version of windows, but sent me to a screen to select the partition to install windows on. If I choose the partition that windows is currently on, it wont let me choose it unless I delete it. there is another choice of 8MB of unpartitioned space. Anything I can do from here?

unless someone else has another idea I would say you are looking at a reformat and reinstall.

do not MIX IDE with SATA. Windows normally defaults to IDE during crashes. Now your computer sees two identical OSes on your system and is confused. Use one type of drive or the other. USe your IDE as an external drive. (format it first.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back