New monitor behaving oddly (with photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

I just purchased a used Hanns-G 28" widescreen LCD monitor off eBay. Photos of the monitor before shipping show it to be in full working order. But when it arrived, it was producing a distorted screen (from BIOS to Desktop):

Bootup of WinXP (sp2)
28hg01.jpg

XP Loading screen
28hg02.jpg

XP startup
28hg03.jpg

XP Desktop
28hg04.jpg

The monitor is producing this same pattern at all times (even in BIOS), so it is not a Windows/driver issue. The pattern does not move or resize when changing resolutions. The screen image does fade in slowly (reaching the result seen in the photos), in the same zig-zag pattern, left-to-right, upon booting. The refresh rate is extremely slow (around 1fps) and the mouse pointer fades out as I move it to the right.

My video card card is a Radeon 3870 with two DVI ports. The monitor only has an HDMI port and a VGA/D-SUB, so I must use an adapter to use the monitor. I tried both a DVI-to-HDMI cable, and a DVI-to-VGA adapter, both with the exact same result. My video card is working perfectly with my 20.1" Dell (using it now), so I know it is in working order.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any help is appreciated.

PS: If it matters, the internal speakers also do not appear to be working, but I don't think it's related. I tried doing a "Reset" from the monitors OSD, which had no effect.

UPDATE: I connected the monitor to my cable box with the exact same result, so the fault definitely lies with the monitor and not the computer.

28hg-cablebox.jpg

Send the monitor back for a replacement or a refund. Ive never heard of the brand "Hanns-G".

I recommened you get a monitor made by AOC. AOC make excellent monitors. I own one and it has never failed me.

Hanns-G

Send the monitor back for a replacement or a refund. Ive never heard of the brand "Hanns-G".

I recommened you get a monitor made by AOC. AOC make excellent monitors. I own one and it has never failed me.
I believe Hanns-G was formerly Hanspree. They've been around for a few years and have a decent reputation. (You can find them on Newegg).

I just spent $250 buying this monitor (used), so I'm not prepared to just throw it in the trash and buy another one from another company. It would cost me another $30 to mail it back for a refund after already paying $40 in shipping to get it.

I have instead filed a claim with UPS to get them to pay for the damages (someone on another board says the monitor appears to have been dropped or crushed on its right side, damaging the "T-Con" board and dislodging the "backlight reflector".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back